CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clip question no movement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clip question no movement

today i switched it over to the 5th clip position but now i have movement in the needle at all it feels like it runs a little better but im still having problems with the fuel breather it will run good for about 5 minutes but then it starts to pop again the gas just stop flowing i think im getting the predator gas cap or drilling a hole thru the stock one let me know what i should do thanks.

jonathan

Old 08-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Range Rover

I would move the needle jet clip to the 2nd clip postion from the top to start with, If you have it running to rich it will flood out and not run right at all. Also you might want to check your engine temperature if you get to hot it will not run right either(from experience), check your radiator fan, and thermostat. Hope this help's

Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

ive got everything checked out the problem im having is that the needle wont move like it in the other positions, i heard some somewhere around here if you had no movment it could fall apart whie riding but i cant find the thread and my stupid gas tank breather is not letting enough air in to the tanks for it to flow out smoothly.

jonathan

Old 08-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Get a billet gas cap with a breather, and then chop off that stupid stock breather tube... there have been a few folks around here who have had problems with those lately.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

yea I mentioned that before it causes alot of problems for just a dumb ventline...did your spark plugs ever get anything on them and what were you running performance wise and jet wise

Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 175 jet with clip in the 5th position it seems to run better but i dont want to risk running it on the streets but after about 5 mintues the gas just stops flowing and the poping starts

Old 08-19-2006, 08:10 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

If you lost the thin metal washer, no big deal, just go to hardware store and ask for a 3mm steel washer.

OMR

Needle Assembly Into Slide:
The injection molding of the vacuum slide sometimes had a slight mismatch in its production.
With the needle and washers removed from slide, look down with good light and where the washer will rest, does your bottom look round or can you see a slight flat lip that is raised and thus looks like like the bottom is D shaped. Many slides seem to have a D shaped bottom.
If you have a D bottom:
Take the thick metal washer and grind a flat. Usually about half the width to the inner hole is find.
Install the thick washer first to align in the D.
Then install thick nylon washer.
Then needle with clip in 4th or 5th(stock needle) or 2nd or 3rd(DJ needle) from top groove, and thinner washer on top of clip.
Press in plunger with small spring attached.
When assembled and you turn the slide over and look at the needle going into the slide, you will notice that the needle is positioned in the middle and has equal space around the needle. This is important otherwise the needle will be dragging in jet needle and wear out of round. Also the better it is positioned, the better fuel will be drawn up the jet needle and the fuel will atomize better.
Final Check:
Push needle lightly up into slide body. There should be a slight movement. Spring will return needle when released. If running in the 5th(Stock) or 5th/6th(DJ), you may find that there is no movement.
Warning: If no movement, the assembly may come apart while riding.
Fix: Grind 1/32-1/16 off top of needle and re-assemble. Check again for movement.
I have found that the slide length varies. Excess shinkage is the issue.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

so i have to grind some off of the top of the needle and that should fix it by the way i found the spacer