CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just a thought About the Visco Lok

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought

Hey yall, i was watching a video, a guy did on another forum where he recored EVERY big bore atv, with all different tires on them and turned it into a documentry. Anyhow i was watching it to see how long it took the visco lock to engage because alot of folks are complaining that it takes 3 to 5 seconds for the Locker to engage. The way i understand the system to work is that it has a pump in the diff, that when one wheel spins the pump builds preasure and ingages the locker. Now this is wonderfull for mudding and trail riding but on hills and rocks they say it is a pain in the ****.

Do Yall, that are more knowledgable about the system think that they could encorporate a Full Time Locker option into the Visco lock? I was thinking that if it uses hydralic pressure to engage, then why not have a small 12VDC pump and resivor and pump, it into the diff that way if you are incountering rocks or a large hill you can lock her up tighter than lil sister and eleveate (SP) the wheel slipping to engage. Would seem like then the Outty would truely have the absolute best of both worlds.

Just a Thought

Old 10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Just a thought About the Visco Lok

i know this is a long read but i believe its a good question, any reply??????? please:0

Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

What exactly did the video show? The video on the Can Am website shows it locking up a lot quicker then 3-5 seconds. I think people make too much out of some of this stuff IMO.

The Visco Loc is a little different then what people are used to, people have a natural resistence to change/different.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has an outy and we both agree for 90% of the time it works fine buy some times he cant go places i go because he cant totally lock up before he is at the obstical like i can on my 360. The defelently need an overide

Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

I just wonder if it is possible to run a secondary hydrallic pump to engage the front diff. hell ill write DRP and see what they say about it.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno.......I'm pretty sure I can go anywhere your Prarie will go.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Range Rover

4x4 diff lock video can am and all others

Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

It would be great if the aftermarket came up with a switch that would let you select a locked mode with the visco-lock. Can-Am made a real error by not having this sort of an option available.

The visco-lock works ok most of the time but it is undeniable that there are situation that the operator really needs to have the ability to keep the differential locked. A simple switch to keep the center section locked would be invaluable.

Granted, without seeing the internals of the thing, but one would think there should be some way to plumb some sort of a small pump to keep the pressure to a locked level or install some sort of an internal modification that would allow an auxiliary override via a mechanical actuation. I can't see that visco-lock being that complicated of a unit that some smart cookie in our talented aftermarket community couldn't come up with some solution.

If any Can-Am engineers are listening fix the thing at the factory and we wouldn't have this problem to being with. I know you have all this visco-lock marketing going but we all know it has it's limitations. Just quietly add an override switch for those of us who ride in the real world.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

traxter or quest diff spring.....locks it in faster.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, well, i do bring a tow rope[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]