CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

S.T.U. Mini Desert Traks vs. Extremes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.T.U. Mini Desert Traks vs. Extremes

Hey everyone, I'm planning on purchasing a DS650 pretty soon and have been doing a lot of research in the last couple of weeks. In my searches in the forums I have found that most everyone likes the 22" extremes. But there have been a couple of guys who run the comp cut Mini Desert Traks and they say they love them. I know they are the hot tires for the 450's and the guys from Sand Addiction Magazine will never buy another tire again for any of their bikes.

So if anyone has actually ran both of these tires or have ridden with someone who have these tires, let's hear your opinion! I ride the Oregon dunes and don't do much drag racing, mostly play racing, jumping, trails and shooting the tree lined hillsides.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have found the STU comp cuts are just too sensitive. If your riding in strictly clean sand with no debris, I can see them doing ok. But every set I have seen or owned did leak. They are very light and hook hard. But we have found that where the haulers work, the STU's did not and visa-versa. Nevertheless, they are a good tire. No doubt.

I personally think if your gonna be doing some treeshoots or what not, the regular buffed hauler in the extreme would be the tire of choice.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'd be using them in only sand, but I find it hard to believe a tire that was made for the desert and the sand would be weak. Unless you had them shaved. Were the ones that you're talking about comp cut? If so, who cut them? Because I understand that it is very difficult to comp cut them without ruining them by making the chords come through. Thanks for the reply, I'm just having a hard time deciding what kind of tire I want more, one for sliding and trail riding or one for hill climbing.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, the one's I had were comp cut. They came cut from Fullerton's. But if you get the regular cut, you will be just fine. Its truly a hard decision to make. But I really like the STU's.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

For ridding the dunes the MDT's are great. I am able to climb any hill at Glamis with them and they dune great. But for just going up hills my Extremes rule. If you want more durability just get the MDT?s play cut.