CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ARM and a LEG

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARM and a LEG

I guess this is my introduction. I first saw the ds650 back in 2000 and was blown away, fell in love right away. i finally got one this past year, it was used but in great condidtion. I guess my one and only complaint thus far is the high price of upgrades. i was looking at some cams and some decent upgrades and i almost fell out of my chair.

HR2 cams 460.00
HR3 comes with shim under bucket kit 745.00
Shim under bucket and valve springs 350.00
ported intake 150.00

I guess with the few companies that make upgrades for the ds means that they can pretty much name their price. just wished it was a little reasonable.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default ARM and a LEG

Yep i feel exactly the same way when it comes to engine parts for the ds650. Cheapest option after the basic pipe and intake mods would be a carb and ported intake along with a vortex or some sort of cdi. Im not sure if Ron Woods Racing is cheaper than HPR but his site is www.rotax.netRon Woods Racing

Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

Alba has some good deals on parts also for the DS. Some don't like Alba but we have never had a problem with them and they are nice people to deal with also. Theirs is Alba Action.com

Old 10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default ARM and a LEG

Oh yea...how could i forget about Alba...cant say enough good about them.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

I will probably regret responding to this but....You are quoting prices from HPR and yes they are more expensive than most but this is a case of getting what you pay for.Cams in particular are very important to a well rounded power delivery and the HR3 are worth the cost.IMO.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ARM and a LEG

no doubt in my mind that HPR are probably the best cam out there. i was just speaking from the fact that the cams are only 5-6 inches long and are just as expensive as a high performance cam for a car. there should be some sort of offset for the size of the part and time it takes to grind it. if web can sell cams for little over $200 bucks surely hpr and others can sell them a little cheaper than $400. oh yea and surely it doesnt cost $150 worth of time and parts to port an intake.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

Originally posted by: beaver396
no doubt in my mind that HPR are probably the best cam out there. i was just speaking from the fact that the cams are only 5-6 inches long and are just as expensive as a high performance cam for a car. there should be some sort of offset for the size of the part and time it takes to grind it. if web can sell cams for little over $200 bucks surely hpr and others can sell them a little cheaper than $400. oh yea and surely it doesnt cost $150 worth of time and parts to port an intake.
beaver, those cams from hrp are WAY expensive, but there are alot of guys that say they are worth every penny....give web cams a call, they have come out with new replica's of the hrp cams at half the price...there not "identical" but they are close enough hrp would have trouble telling the difference.....

Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

beaver396 just be sure to do plenty of research before buying.If you read enough old posts about cams you may see what i am talking about.My opinion comes from real world experience on the dunes.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

Mike - i agree with your reservations in responding to this thread. I have them to but here goes........

The grinds that Web is sporting that are supposedly similar to HPR cams are generationally almost 18 months old.......which is an eternity based on how quickly new improvements are made to the DS.

I enjoyed the comment about the length of the cams. lol It has nothing to do with the time it takes to grind a cam lobe. It has everything to do with the time it takes to test cam grinds until the most power is found. This testing time is tremendous and the guys willing to do the testing ought to get paid to do it so we can continue to see improved options for this motor.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default ARM and a LEG

MisterHP Wrote:We have dyno graphs of every legit pipe on the market. But chose not to put them up because of the 20 page bashing, crying, whining session that would follow.

If you were simply looking to throw a grand of cash at your bike then your not the customer for us anyway. We want customers that are looking to get the most refined, tested, quality, highest horsepower parts they can buy for their DS.

You appear to be spouting your opinion and flashing your money as if it will hurt my feelings that I didnt get some of it. Think again because your money is not the reason I get out of bed in the morning

That was a from eric at hrp on the other forums about dragon asking to see some dyno sheets to see how there cams perform....unless your going to spend two or three grand with them ... ... as u can see on the second paragragh of eric's statement, if you just have a grand to spend , they dont want u as a customer anyway...they want customers that compete in high profile drag racing events..... Ron woods, pami( theBom) , alba, TVI, have always treated me well, shop around and see what fits u best......in the end u dont want to have to beg a builder to sell u parts....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] HRP does have good parts tho...