CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whats a Good Drag Tire for Dirt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:57 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a Good Drag Tire for Dirt?

Planning next year and would like to use a tire that grows.

What are your recommendations?

Can you take off in second and only shift once or do you gear so that you shift twice?

Tire should weigh less than 13 lbs, I would think is best, or what you gain through overall gearing is lost to horsepower to turn.

Thanks,

OMR

Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

4-Snows, Prowedges or Zippers.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

On a harder dirt track, Turf Tamers or Skat Track Desert Storms. They don't grow as much as the tires mentioned above but they hook better on hard pack.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
On a harder dirt track, Turf Tamers or Skat Track Desert Storms. They don't grow as much as the tires mentioned above but they hook better on hard pack.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 01:34 PM
OMR
Pro Rider

I tried turf tamers at last drag, I had them pumped to 16 pounds of air and still lifted the front a few inches. They also weigh 14.8 pounds.

The site for 4 snows say they grow 40 per cent. Do they hit the fenders or heel guards?

8 inchers weigh 11.8 pounds, very light.
9 inchers weigh 12.7 pounds

Zippers are 17+
Pro Wedges are hard to get and expensive.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

I would think a set of 4-snows would be your best choice. I didnt realize how light they were compared to the rest.

I would also think they would hit the heelguards on the newer DS with a stock swingarm under full throttle.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

I run 4snows on 9" on all four corners when racing on soft dirt. it's a stretch to say they grow 40%

on harder track the PW1 and the zippers have a stiffer lugs.

On real hard track. the Cheng Shin's, with 200 ice screws.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

I know this will sound crazy to some but it has proven out for many I ride with. If you are looking for a good tire to all around ride and not dedicated to racing 300 ft drags try the 28" dirt devils 10-12's all the way around. It will depend on what you are driving, but if you have a large atv 660 and up these will outperform stocks or atr's. We race annually at our New Year's eve ride with approx 70 riders with all makes and models. We race in large bean and corn fields way more than 300 yards. The large circumference and narrow profile combined with deep lugs that are close enough together to provide less rolling resistance than others like mudlites. On the hardpack the atv's will increase top end. The atv's have super clearance and traction. The only loss is in the handling department given the raised center of gravity. These are the best overall for our aggressive style of riding, racing, and water crossing. The same atv with stocks or atr's, bighorns, mudlites will get beat noticeably by the 28 dirt devils. The dirt devils in the 27 inch don't have enough circumference compared to their weight. With my brute force 750 my top end is greater than on stockers and it gets there quicker. I can't explain it but the tread pattern and weight has alot to do with it. The dirt devils don't weigh as much as the mudlites. I had mudlites but they slowed the machine considerably, the dirt devils have just the opposite effect. Most of the machines that ride with us have switched to the dirt devils. I have a second set of 26" atrs for when we trail ride really fast for better handling. With the large number of machines that ride with us we see alot of tire/rim setups and its surprising how really fast the big bores become with the 28 dirt devils 10-12's all the around. Some guys ride with the 12-12's on the back but that adds enough weight and rolling resistance to slow the machine even on hardpack and noticeably on softer ground. I'm sure there are dedicated drag tires that will go faster, but if you have a big bore utility and don't want to switch tires and rims continually, the best overall for us is the dirt devils. P.S. a friend rides the 800 outlander and man can it go with the dirt devils. I have hold down money on a renegade. I plan on running the 26" atrs and then throwing on a set of the 28 dirt devil 10-12' all the way around and compare for speed. With the bomb hitting the rev limited 8200 rpms the larger circumference translates to a higher top end. I know many of you think 80 mph on a utility is nuts but that's us. By the way try passing you buddy topped out on his yamaha 450 two wheeler at top speed and seeing his look of amazement and wonderment why he bought the two wheeler in the first place. PRICELESS!!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

i dragged with my mud machines on, beat the lil yfz's and 450r's... well most of them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
OMR
Pro Rider

Mud Machine, are they 25 inches tall and weigh 21 pounds.
Everyone has to match a tire for their application.
If it works for you, thats what counts.

Quick Reply: Whats a Good Drag Tire for Dirt?