CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Hi everyone i am new to the form, i've been reading it for the last year and a half. I have a problem. and i am hoping you guys can help me out. i have a 2001 ds650 with 14 to 1 compression piston with a 109 web cams by problem I broke a valve spring, web cam shipped me 4 new ones, which i installed, i got it back together and it runs fine but the chain tensioner will not keep the chain tight, an i doing somthing wrong on the install according to my book i did the right things, please help.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Need help

Have you pulled the tensioner all the way out and checked the plunger for any nicks and burrs? Are you torquing the plug to specs? That thing is machined nice and stays saturated with oil normally.
Stupid question, but did you put the bridge back in, between the two cam sprockets??? I've seen bigger things left out, it can happen with the anxiety of getting her back together and hittin' the trail.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need help

Yes I did pull the plunger out and there are no nicks or scratches i did put the bridge in and the plunger was the very last thing i installed the cam chain was tight when i put the valve cover on once i started it it ran fine and a few minutes later i could here the cam chain slapping i rebuilt a honda 400 ex and it had a spring tensioner on the cam adjuster i am suprised that this doesnt have a spring tensioner. should i fill the plunger full of oil before i install it, stupid question.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need help

Get a new tensioner... they are prone to wear out.