CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.
View Poll Results: whats your favorite of the 7 riding areas listed?
dumont
0%
glamis
0%
sm nevada
0%
sm utah
0%
oregon
0%
saint anthonys
0%
pismo
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Supersonictoys dune rating guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supersonictoys dune rating guide

How do you justify giving Pismo 2*and you say its better than nothing at all.Pismo could be the bottom of the list, but all are fun to ride.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Been to Sand Mt Utah, Sand Mt Nevada, Dumont, and the Oregon coast. 3 different places to ride at the Oregon Coast. Winchester Bay, Florence, and Coos Bay. I don't care as much for Coos any more due to how they have it split up, but Winchester and Florence are still by far the highest on my favorite places to ride. We will be there again over the 4th, and I for one have been away too long. It will be a very welcomed return [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just my .02

Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

maxxedouty, how many acres of open dune riding area are there at pismo and how many cops are there? a 2 was generous. there are no big hills and the duning is lame because its all drop offs . access to the place totally sucks and you have a 50/50 chance of getting stuck and a $200 tow truck bill. you can ride the whole entire place in a half an hour. a 2 was generous. LOL

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm from the central Valley in Ca. In my younger days I used to spend alot of time in Pismo.I think its a great place for alot of things to do like getting caught up on your sleep. The Or Dunes is a good place to ride with a variety. Sounds like you might have had a bad experience in the Or Dunes. Being a local here I do get burnt out,but its still a great place to ride. If the Dunes weren't here I would have choose a diff location to retire at or to.I do realize to each his own likeing so as long as we get out and enjoy what we have to ride. Keep the rubber side up.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

It is your post SST but very biased even for that. Sandmountain Nevada is the worst place of any posted next to armogosa which I don't think was even on the list. I think you have to realize the race hill is Gregs main attraction. That helps to make his rating's make more sense. For pure race hills Sand mountain utah and Sand mountain Nevada are definitely the best. For overall duning experience the best are Saint Anthony's, Sand Mountain Utah, Glamis in no particular order, and Dumont if the other areas are to far away or the weather is to cold in Utah or Idaho.
Glamis is great for the scenery (Crazy people and million dollar set ups) but the dunes overall do not work for a nice long dune run. It is great to have so much space to go through and need a GPS to find some of the remote spots. I enjoy making one trip a year.
Dumont is great because the weather is good when the weather sucks in Utah or idaho. Descent dunes and great camping. Wish it was a little larger riding area but fun overall and you got to love the local Vegas boys.
Sand mountain Utah has a great race hill and good duning on the back side. Wish the dunes in the back were a little bigger but overall I would rate it as a tie for Number one or close number two.
Saint anthony is lacking for one common race hill but over all the duning is incredible. SST obviously had a poor guide when he went because next to Glamis it has the most dunable terrain around. (I am not talking quoted Acres or Square miles on the map but actual riding area) It definitely has the greatest dune run anywhere down the center of the dunes past middle dune, dead horse, choke cherry and then devils dune. If you run any of the large hills a couple times you will have a hard time getting back to Sand hills resort. Camp at Oasis or the BLM, they both have made alot of improvements in the last year.
I hate to be negative about a guys local riding grounds but Sand Mountain Nevada has a good racing hill and that is it. Camping is terrible on any half way busy weekend and there is one big hill that you can drive around in five minutes. It comes in handy for some of the locals but if they had any other options they would definitely take it. I would like to stress the race hill is great and it is right in front of the camping which means you can watch is all day which I like but also you can hear it all night, which I hate. Great guys are repeat visitor and locals like Duneme and SST but I question SST sanity when he rates it #2. He reminds me of the Crazy soccer parent swearing his kid is the greatest and should start and play every minute of the game when it is obvious to everyone including his grandmother that he may be autistic. You can't blame the parent but you can only stand listening to the opinion for so long.

WARNING!!!THIS IS ONLY ONE MAN'S OPINION

Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Cjack we don't hardly ever see eye to eye burt man you put a smile on my face with that one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

And SST when you grow a set come on out to flag ill meet you there but you better bring a set Because you can toss all the V8s in ds frames you want but if you don't have skills you will not make it out in one piece.IT IS THE ULTIMATE HILL.TWICE THE HEIGTH OF SAND MT AND MUCH STEEPER.And more hair raising riding then you can stand.Don't get me wrong i love sand mt but come on its a hill shooters dream and nothing more.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I haven't had the luxury of experiencing St. Anthony's. Yet. But I can tell from the satellite images that it is by far the best set of dunes in North America. I will get there someday to try it on for size and see first hand.
Having said that, my next opinion is that I am really sorry that those of you that have had bad experiences at Glamis did so. It is the asshat capitol of the dune riding world, but even on major holiday weekends if you are smarter than 90% of the crowd it can ba a very enjoyable time. The trick is to camp further down than Wash 10, I would recommend between Washes 23-27. Straight shot West to China Wall and all of the great dunes that lay just beyond. At all cost avoid Oldsmobile Hill on Holiday or Winter weekends. Idiots rule.
If you are a DUNER and not just a hill shooter than Glamis is the G spot, or Mother G as we like to call her. The crazies and the "out to impress the Jonses" never leave the hill and miss out on the experience of a lifetime. If you go to dune you will not be disappointed. If you get out of the "popular" washes that are beat into talcum powder type sand you will have a Hella good time. No dust, just wind, and we know what that means for the sand back in the dunes.
Bottom line, if you are going to Glamis stay away from the big weekends, or camp away from the crowds. Ride the dunes, not the hill.
Only been to Sand Mountain Utah once and it was a killer time and nice dunes out behind the big hill. For those that have never ridden the trails way to the left of the main race hill you are missing out. Around the side of the mountain there are also some sweet riding areas that seem to not get very much usage. And out in the flats even further left of the mountain is some wicked fun trail riding through some waist high grass that you can be WOT and just rip and tear till you can't hang on anymore. The trails are all sand and very smooth (no rocks) with lots of gentle whoops and sweeping turns.
Dumont has many pros and cons. Lots of big bowls, rollers, trails, and even some spectacular hills for those that prefer that type of running up and down nonstop. But like Glamis, can suck on big weekends. The past three Halloweens at Dumont have been so rutted out that it was almost too enbearable to ride. You won't see me there this year. And unlike Glamis, it is too small to escape the crowds.
Being unemployed for the whole Winter was a major bonus for my son and myself. Starting Labor Day last year at SM, UT through the middle of April at Glamis, we got in over two dozen dune trips. Some (Holidays) sucked, some (off weekends and middle of the week trips) were pure Heaven on earth. It was a season I'll never forget, and will never get to experience again.
Just ride hard and ride safe Brothers and Sisters. See ya in the sand.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

crackerjack , I see how you got your name as you are obviously on crack! I cant believe you could say glamis just doesnt work for a nice long dune ride. its an awsome dune riding area and I thing aceisback will agree with me??
(QUOTE AZsand): SST when you grow a set....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]QUOTE) Azsand , you must have caught me swimin when it was cold because I have a set bro. I have been riding atvs since they were atc's and can ride anything anywhere. sure sounds like you have me figured out but I dont recall ever having met you... I have run dirt hill climb hills at carnagie and rolled at about the 800ft mark, I ran a turbo nitrous KZ based funny bike on asphalt for 5 years and have a large selection of trophies to show for it, my all day rider dune bike stands strait up on the hill at 90+ MPH at 4500ft altitude if you roll the throttle to hard . when you have ridden half as long as me and have just once thrown your little set over what I ride every day then you can talk about my man hood. if the two of you 2 could read you would see I listed other places as "more aggressive"....
Supersonic toys top 7 most aggressive riding areas.
1. Glamis
2. saint anthonys
3. dumont
4. sm utah
5. oregon
6. sm nevada
7. pismo
you both also missed the part were I said ....."supersonictoys" "favorite" riding areas List
and why I like them. keep in mind I grade the whole experience, not just the riding ......
it's my opinion of these places and its how I feel and I'm sticking to it. if you feel differently go make your own post guys... I was just posting my feeling on these areas not making a personal attack on anyones gonads...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

wow....

Old 06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Actualy i have met you SST i visited your camp one year watched you shoot the hill your buddy was there with the other dsbusa as a matter of fact both of you claimed to me no one had beaten either one of you at all. then i watched ole man herb beck go by you on his gisser yammie like you were in reverse so yes i have endured your rederic a time or two but im saying poppy **** put your lump on the track with me ill show you who's fast and who isn't.As ive said before you drop a blaster out of a plain its going to hit terminal velocity same as you.You do add enough pistons and you belive your fast.WRONG with my one piston i will send you back too the starting line crying. And then dune you till your old weak decreeped body falls apart.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Oh just so you know im only talking about my play bike you need to grow a tad before you get a shot at a real fast bike.

Sorry about the old decrepped thing herb it helped the dramatics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Supersonictoys dune rating guide