CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

conversion bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion bikes?

I was wondering how much the conversion bikes (busa, 1000, or 750) cost and where could I get some of these parts like the +10 swinger, rear sprocket, chain, engine, etc...I know I can get an engine from the dealer, but are there any better sources that might be cheaper besides ebay...And any other misc parts I may need...Thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I got my engine kit from usedmcparts.com #888-952-9253 or 409-299-0703 ask for Rick I bought the whole motor package radiator and all the guages thru them at a good price I got my sprocket from Super Sonic Toys he is in this forum at a real good price and you can get the 530 EEE chain thrue a local motorcycle shop or on E-bay I got a real good deal. Good luck on your build if you need anything I will try and help you out when I can.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

As far as the swing arm goes you can get them from most any shop that does custom swing arms just have them build you one for a DS 650 but have them swap the brake assembly to the other side becouse you have to swap your axle so the chain runs on the left side. I had mine done thru Metal Tech#623-915-9856 Also it is critical wher you mount your shock when going that far over on the swing arm.
I got allot of good information on my build from Gregg Super Sonic Toys he helped me allot.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks again I got my r paid off and might get a pipe or something for my 450 then I will be saving for a busa engine and then I can start my build...I figure if I am going to rebuild my stock engine which it is going to need I might as well rebuild it to atleast a 720, but why spend that much when I can fab up my frame and get so much more power for around or cheaper...I have an idea in my head and have read up about the conversions, but wasn't sure where to get the parts I may get some of the parts as I save up and sell my engine and other misc parts I won't be needing...Yea I knew aboutt he shock because it won't sit right otherwise if you don't move the top shock mount...Also do you have a bandsaw or some type or rec. saw to cut the pipe or a die grinder...Also are you using chromoly or reg steel...It may take me a little while to get the money until I start working over at Ford which will be in Sept, but can't wait it is like a dream...I will take my time and do it right and when I stat it if I have any ?'s about what works and what doesn't I will let you know as long as you don't mind...Thanks again for your help and hope to start this project sometime in the near future.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

One other thing if you don't mind me asking How much did the swinger cost you and the engine...Thanks

Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I can tell you if you have jeff @ metasltech build your swinger its 390.00 for a ds 1-12 longer dosen't matter. I have a 10' and two 6' and there the best since timmy boy racing.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

I used .095 DOM steel it is seemles so and very strong I have a chop saw a band saw and just about every metal cutting or grinding tool I can get my hands on I bought a $150.00 tubing bender to start out it workes great but found out that it leaves little dings in the metal when you do any sharp bends. I ruined a few pieces when I was learning how to do it but it was worth it I have a nice industrial Mig welder and it makes the job easy also a good drill press is worth it's weight in gold when doing one of these projects. As far as it seams like a dream can relate to that I have been wanting to build one for years and now I am doing it :0) It is fun but takes alot of work and time and you second guess your fabricating skills sometimes but seem to figure it all out in the long run.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

The swing arm cost around 400.00 and the motor package I bought cost me $3000.00 it is a 2005 motor with less than 3000.00 miles at least that is what I was told? The motor looks great and the oil and internals still look brand new in my motor package I got all of the sencers the oil cooler and lines a full wiring harness, electrical control switches and the radiator and the full guage cluster and exhaust and the hydrolic clutch assembly I pretty much got it with everything to make it run except for the key switch.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds alot better then building up a ds...Thanks guys just so I can get my pricing down so I know how much I can save up...Hopefully I can do it...If not now sometime in the future unless I just buy a busa...Wish ya luck finishing up the bike and it looks awesome from the pics you have...Keep up the good work and can't wait to see it done and could you also get a vid if you don't mind.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

As soon as I get mine going I will post some videos of it racing on flat ground and racing the dune hills. I can't wait.

Quick Reply: conversion bikes?