CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

So heres the question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So heres the question!

Jed,

You're also gonna have to have a place where the spectators can actually be there. Hauling out lawn chairs on the sand is probably gonna get you a few, but unless you really pack them in, like in an areana, or where there is at least some bleachers, its going to be limited. Maybe what you really need is someone to work a deal with some the local CATV operator. The latter is probably going to be your best shot. Most local CATV operators like to do events like this for free. Then you get your local dealerships to pitch in by selling ad space. If it caught on, then you'd have ESPN and the Speed Channel calling you up wanting to know more about it.

I just think most people dont know anything about the sport. We used to get people just taking a Sunday drive in Oregon and wandered into the Florence Dunes by accident. They'd see everyone dragging up the 1st dune from thier car and start snapping pictures like it was a lunar eclipse. Then the Japanese tourists would come. They'd give you 5 bucks to have thier picture taken right next to your quad.

I think video is the answer. No bleachers, plenty of spectators, and the sponsors could do thier thing.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Very respectable solutions.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Ive had a film guy from the speed channel come up in front of my house. He is a neighbor and wondered what we did with these types of quads. So I gave him a video copy of the first FSCS and he thought it was interesting. He also said he would need a few other guys to film something like this and a TON I mean TON of footage. He said to do a half hour show on speed channel you need about 2 weeks of filming every day. Im glad he didnt go to the second FSCS which he was going to. It was cold, very windy and not many people. Id want him to see this first time with a large croud.

We will just see how pismo goes.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well Hey guys!

Just back from a week of Dunin' in Oregon!

Tried reading some of this. . .

The best Four Strokes was the first real one (I think that was the 2nd year actually.) Lot's of normal guys. . . just getting together, meeting, duning and racing.

As you guys know, I've taken a step back from the modified bike to a newer stock ride (+pipe, airfilter).

There isn't going to be money in the sport any time soon.

What can be done to make it more FUN?

More Duner's Class races. More Fun races (big fat guys on LT-80's), Family events to draw in more of the masses, group rides, Rhino / RZR races, etc. To draw in more people you need more events that draw in more of a variety of people.

Watch Pismo. . . the 4SCS wll be there in a few weeks. . . a few weeks after that will be the Pismo Beach Race. Wanna guess how many more people will show for the Beach Race? I would guess close to 100x the number that will show for the 4SCS. Why?

Jed: Let us know your specific thoughts. I'm not sure I know what you would like to see and I'm interested. I do think a Raptor 700 should be in the same class as a DS650. . . But, if it has been internally modified I understand your thoughts. I'm not into the whole chassis lightening thing. . . only the serious guys are going to do that and they can have their own class. Less time should be focused on that and more on the stock bore / duner type classes. That's what most people ride.

Perhaps double elimination races? At least you get to go up the hill twice before you are out?!? I'm not interested in driving even 4 hours to race once up the hill and be done. This is pretty much what happened to me at 4SW's which is why I only raced once. Enjoyed the gathering though.

I think I'm done with the highly modified thing. . . Maybe some day I'll put a few $'s into the engine on this for a few extra HP but, for now. . . for me. . . I'm a bolt-on guy.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER

Ive had a film guy from the speed channel come up in front of my house. He is a neighbor and wondered what we did with these types of quads. So I gave him a video copy of the first FSCS and he thought it was interesting. He also said he would need a few other guys to film something like this and a TON I mean TON of footage. He said to do a half hour show on speed channel you need about 2 weeks of filming every day. Im glad he didnt go to the second FSCS which he was going to. It was cold, very windy and not many people. Id want him to see this first time with a large croud.

We will just see how pismo goes.</end quote></div>

Mario,

Thats cool that you got that guy to consider it. Now, if he had just a taste of the competition, the personalities of the racers, and the builds themselves, I think that would be something people would watch. But you are right, you hit a bad weather weekend and thats no fun.

Mark,

I do think there is money in it simply from a curiosity standpoint. If you've ever seen those japanese tourists gawk at our sport, I think you'd know what I mean. What was it like the first time you went to the dunes? What made you get hooked? If someone can package that up in a video, I think people would watch it. If anything, just someone filming those events like Pismo, Dune Fest, .... after all there are people that spend hours watching stupid fish under the sea on the discovery channel .... and they send out huge marine expeditions for that. Seems like there would be money in something that has a little more action.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmmm

Speed Channel. . .
Personalities. . .
Drag racing. . .

Sounds like we need a couple guys willing to put their bikes up and ask for an episode of PINKS!

I would make every effort to make it to the filming of such an event. . . that would be fun!

BUT, I'm not putting my bike up!

Anyone?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh, anyone ever see PINKS ALL OUT?

The way they organize their bracket racing may be a good way to go.

Everyone makes a run and a time range is picked based on E.T. So, if you have a slow big-bore you could be in the same class as a fast stock bore. Not sure it would work because people with fast bikes could sandbag but, they wouldn't end up winning the big class either.

Not sure how this could be made to work?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's my man that went on vacation without me.....ergg! How was it? Hope you had a good time.

I am really not looking for anything other than a good discussion really. This is something I am interested in, and I was bored.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Last time I went to Oregon (2004) I had the Sharts (BAD!!!), crashed and hit my shin on the IMS pegs (meat grinders), burnt my other leg on my pipe, broke my clutch cable and got stung by a bee. . . it took me that long to consider going back!

The trip was great Jed! Wish you could have joined us. Actually ran into Tom Pro the last day. . . didn't know he was going to be there. Real nice guy!

All right - back to the topic at hand. . .

I think something needs to be done to bring the races to more of the masses. This will make it more of a gathering. The number of people involved vs. how many could be involved is way out of wack!