CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

XT or MAX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XT or MAX?

I am looking at buying a new 650 Outlander. Any thoughts on the XT vs the MAX?
I will be 2 up sometimes. My thoughts on the MAX is the extra wheel base. I am new to ATV's but not riding. Any thoughts please.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default XT or MAX?

I have an XT non-max, and if my wife wanted to ride, I would get a MAX XT. If you can't afford both max and xt, then a std MAX, no XT pkg. XT pkg is front and rear bumpers, 2500# warn winch, hand guard, and bigger tires.

I got the 800 because there is some areas I ride occasionally that are all rock, no visible dirt. That 800 is huffin' and puffin', believe me. It does get hot, but the fan and coolant keep it from overheating, even on the steepest and rockiest trails. About one out of eight 800's get hot enough exhaust pipes to melt side plastic or the seat, but haven't heard that too much on the newer ones. All the big bores get hot, not just the Outys.

If you're riding flat or just rolling hills, the 650 will be enough for the two of you.

When you go into the show room, take your tape measure with you. Sit on the quad, then get off and measure the clearance from the floor to the lowest point on the frame in front. That's supposed to be 12". Come back on and we can talk about spring sag and what kind of springs and shocks they are putting on them now, if they are the upgrades or same as the 06 and 07. The dealer will give you this info, will tell you everything but that the springs will sag. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Start a new thread so it will get our attention. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default XT or MAX?

I have the 800 MAX XT and it's very comfortable in both one and two person riding. Had it as a single up at madawaska river and had no issues hitting all the hard trails and technical areas. Longer wheel base is very stable and the can ams in general are lighter than the polaris from what I have noticed. XT is nice for the winch and tires. Ground clearance is not that good as I have a beauty of dent in the main skid plate in front. Prolly should have goten a more secure skid plate, oh well. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the Max XT

Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default XT or MAX?

I would definetly put in the vote for a Max. My wife doesn't go with me all the time but it seems like there always is a passenger or another couple that I let go for a ride. Also, the extra tool box is nice when you are riding single up. The extra wheel base is nice for smoothness and hill climbs. I have only been high centered once because of the extra wheel base. Back up and hit it a little harder and no problem.