ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   valve clearance (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/277838-valve-clearance.html)

McKay5858 11-22-2007 01:21 AM

valve clearance

so i decided to check my valve clearance but i've appeared to run into a little snag. both the valve towards the front of the bike are right on but the two towards the back of the bike are too tight, the smallest feeler gauge i have is .002 and it wont go so how do i know what size shim to order?

DragonDJ11 11-22-2007 01:36 AM

valve clearance

I would pick up another gauge that goes smaller and see if you can get an actual clearence so you can do the proper math and get what you need. If not, I would say you will be making some educated guesses on what sizes you need. May get a couple so you are not waiting if you have to order them. How long have you been running it since the last time they were checked???

Big Ray 800 11-22-2007 02:03 AM

valve clearance

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]Check with your local dealer {service dept} see if you can borrow or buy buy a shim abou .oo7 smaller than whats in it then readjust and you shoud be able to ge a good reading on what size to order

McKay5858 11-22-2007 02:06 AM

valve clearance

i've been running it like this sincei bought it this past summer it has always had a slight tick in it i wonder if this is why. i was thinking if the .002 doesnt go then i atleast need one .004 smaller, i think i'll order one .005 smaller and see where that gets me. is it just my bombardier dealer that seems to have nothing i need in stock or is that the norm?

SANDMAN430 11-22-2007 12:20 PM

valve clearance

seems i remember you can get the shims at a kawie dealer.

aceisback 11-22-2007 01:10 PM

valve clearance

Clicking here will be a great help in getting you the info that you need in order to purchase the correct shims.

McKay5858 11-22-2007 03:14 PM

valve clearance

does this mean my valves havnt' been closing all the way? could my valves be all burnt up?

SANDMAN430 11-23-2007 02:22 PM

valve clearance

anything is possible but if it runs you wouldn't think everything is burned up.

DSNUT 11-25-2007 10:17 AM

valve clearance

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: McKay5858

does this mean my valves havnt' been closing all the way? could my valves be all burnt up?</end quote></div>

If the valves bleed off compression, it will usually run but be down on power depending on how bad the leak is. The hard part is starting a bike that has compression bleeding off.

If it starts relatively easily, just get the appropriate shims. If you can't get shims thin enough to work this time, then it is time for a valve job because the valves have worn the seats too deep.

DSNUT 11-25-2007 10:20 AM

valve clearance

Btw, i doubt you have burnt valves.