CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade 800 10-hour service question/help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade 800 10-hour service question/help??

I am approaching 10-hours on my Renegade 800. I manual says it is important to get 1st service done at an authorized Can-Am service center. The dealer where I bought it wants to charge 4-hours of time. So bascially it will cost me $400 to have everything done for the 1st 10-hour service.

Now I can do the oil change myself, gearbox oil change, air filter, etc., etc. The manual says it is important to have the valves adjusted during the 1st service (They are mechanical).

So I go back to the dealer and speak with the service manager and ask how much it will cost just to have the valves adjusted. He says that is a 2 hour job will cost $200. He tells me I might as well have the whole thing done because it will be better for me.

#1. I am spoke with some friends that said if I let them work on my quad, and some 19 year old is doing the work, I could end up with more problems.

#2. If my quad is running fine why screw with it?

#3. I understand if could affect the warranty, but that is only good for 6-months anyway. If I spend all this money on maintance, then something happens after the six months, then they will say, "Sorry sir, your warranty expired!"

**So can someone provide some input** I am not convinced that I need to spend all this money at this time...What should I do. What has other Renegade 800 owners done??

Please advise.......

Old 12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Its important for them to check it first time and to get rid of that mineral breakin oil.Might be required for the warranty on the first service. You should be able to get service for around $200. or so.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

not sure if the service is much different then the outty, but i had mine done for less then $100. Check around if you have another one close by. shouldnt take anywhere near 4 hours to do what they need to.

Just my opinion

Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

Mine was $65. My renegade came with a 3 yr warranty, and I thought that they all did. Either way, $400 is way too much for break-in service!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 08Renegade500

Mine was $65. My renegade came with a 3 yr warranty, and I thought that they all did. Either way, $400 is way too much for break-in service!</end quote></div>

Does your 3 year warranty include maintance service of your quad??

Old 12-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am a service manager at a shop in BC. I never have the guys in at 10hrs. EVER.

The valves simply aren't seated properly at 10hrs. However I will tell you to change your engine oil at least at the 10hr mark. That part is important. If your dealer is good to deal with and a straight shooter they will have no problem with either dropping the oil for you, or showing you exactly what is needed and how to do it.

I normally do the 1st service(the big part being the valves) around the 20hr mark. Of course this depends on how you ride the machine. Most guys in my area simply do not use them hard enough to seat the valves at the 10hr mark. Most are pretty conservative for the first while anyways.

2.5hrs is maximum unless you have a full skidplate underneath. Then add another half hour for taking it off and putting it back on.

Our shop rate is $84/h plus the lubricants and filter.....it's not uncommon to have a $250-300 bill at the end of the first service if I do everything. (this includes any little things a customer might want us to change or check while it's in the shop - minor things)

Good luck.

EDIT: Services are not normally included in the 3year warranty unless you negotiated it when buying the unit.

I thought all Outty's and Ren's had a 3 year warranty from the get go. 6mo full warranty, 2.5 years extended limited($50 ded per claim)

If your 1st service was under a hundred bucks al lthey did was swap oils OR adjust valves. Not both, so be careful. Unless of course your dealership has made a deal or throws in the labour on a first service. A shop I used to work for used to do this. Worked good but guys hardly ever came back for other services.

How we do things now is much better I think. Negotiate a service into the deal or something similar. We give the guys an option, 1st service is free or get $300 in parts and accessories. Works well. But most guys spring for the $300 for heated grips, skidplates, etc etc and I do give most a break on labour when doing this. Or free labour on any install at the time of purchase. Lotsa guys take advantage of that one. (Plows, skidplates, heated grips, windshields, tires etc.)

Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Can-Am Renegade 800 Operator's guide says it is important to have them checked at 10 hours, so since you have experience with them your saying that I can wait until 20 hours??

Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know what the manual says. I'm very familiar, what I'm saying is that the customers i have are very wasy on their machines from the get go. And I've adjusted too many valves at 10hrs and had to adjust them again 10hrs later only because they didn't seat properly the first time. A lot of people won't notice a little more noise.....or a certain knock, but when your job is to know these things(I should, I spend enough time on atv's and sleds) you notice the difference. As a service manager at a BRP shop, I'm sharing with you my experiences. Take it for what you will. Again, good luck.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Reeb

I know what the manual says. I'm very familiar, what I'm saying is that the customers i have are very wasy on their machines from the get go. And I've adjusted too many valves at 10hrs and had to adjust them again 10hrs later only because they didn't seat properly the first time. A lot of people won't notice a little more noise.....or a certain knock, but when your job is to know these things(I should, I spend enough time on atv's and sleds) you notice the difference. As a service manager at a BRP shop, I'm sharing with you my experiences. Take it for what you will. Again, good luck.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to clarify with someone that understood what was going on. With that being said, I guess I dont have to do the valves now. You just saved my $400 bucks and Merry Christimas.......

Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I didnt have my wife's outy 650 serviced until almost 30 and figured it was fine. Better more than 10 and she's not hard on it.

Quick Reply: Renegade 800 10-hour service question/help??