CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

?'s about mods to the new quad

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about mods to the new quad

i recently bought a new raptor 700 and i have some ?'s about mods. I am planning on putting on a HMF full exhaust along with intake/filter and probably the HMF fuel management box. I have not even broke in the quad yet but i was wondering what kind of results i would get over the big 3 mods with the addition of a hotcams stage 1 or 2 cam, a 12:5:1 piston, and maybe a mild head port job. Now i know the duel systems flow better but i cant afford them if i am gonna do motor work. I hate stock machines and even though my girlfriend will be riding the raptor 99% of the time i want it to be a runner if i decide to take it out and about. Bang for the buck will i see a good results with the engine mods on top of the big three? since the build i am interested in is mild, are their any reliability issues i would encounter? i am asking here on my home turf and not on the yamaha forum due to the fact that after reading many posts over there recently (since i am now a yamaha owner too) i noticed that i did not really care for the opinion of the many 13 year olds who claim to ride 90mph blasters.......you guys know what i am talking about. there are alot of good engine builders and mechanics around here along with a few raptor owners as so well be honest...... what works the best?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to Duneme. He seems to have the most knowledge of the new 700 on this forum. I would suspect somewhere in the 60-65HP range with those mods.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Didn't you have a thread in the Yamaha section?

Go with the Dynojet Power Commander - lots of maps to get from the internet and others. You don't want to be the one reinventing the wheel.

The duals will get you more power. I've got the Barker's but, the Monsters are good too.

Most of the air intakes net about the same power.

I think high 40's to low 50's with these mods is about right.

The Hot Cam Stage 2 is the one everyone is talking good things about.

I wouldn't put a piston in unless you are going to have the head ported. Seems like a waste to have the head off and not get a port job. There are guys doing port work for about $400 out there. A little port work goes a LONG way with this engine. The 11:1 will allow you to run pump gas and with the porting you'll see greeat power. Race gas or not. . . personal choice.

I would think the porting, piston and cam would get you real close to 60HP.

With the 3 mods on this bike you'll be as fast as a stage 2 to a stage 3 DS. They did a good job when they built this bike.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

i was looking at the monster duels but i only found them on e-bay.. i went to the ebay store and it said closed..... gone to glamis?????? WTF just my luck. well i think i may be having thoughts about the duels now and just doing the 3 mods with the other stuff later??? i just dont know.. i saw rocket factory has a mild port job for 300.00 does that sound like a good deal?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Call Jerry at Holeshot Designs - He has the Monster's in stock and great customer support.

916-496-7198.

I ran into the guy that owns the Monster Pipe shop. He's a duner too! I would rather give my business to a Duner than some guy in a tie that just wants my money and doesn't really support the sport.

Jerry's got a shop in the area and likes the Monster's a lot. I think that's a good choice.

3-mods for now is a wise choice.

$300 for porting is a great price. RF is putting down some great builds too.

Save some money. . . You don't want to spend so much on the build you won't have money to buy yourself a new 700 too! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh. . . tell Jerry that Mark told you to call him.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

If it was me I would definetly want to go with the duels for the extra power. The dynojet power comander because of previous use of their products. and a good air intake. with those you will definetly free up some of the raptors power.

I would wait and see if you really want more power later to do the piston and cam along with a port and polish.

You might end up thinking you have enough power right now and want to get an extended swingarm to keep the front end down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!

Chuck Glender out of Oregon also does very good port jobs on the cheap. He did my DS head for only $250. I know he has done a lot of older 660 Raptors with much success, but not to sure about the 700...

What kind of RPM's are Hot Cam STage II 700's turning? Do they require heavy duty valve springs and shim unders like the DS?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Rocket Factory or Kenz seem to be doing wonders with the 700's. I know 1st hand that Kenz stands behind their work. Kenz freshened up my 465EX and within 20 min the new Sparks piston failed grenading the motor....everything was ruined... head, cylinder, crank all toast. Kenz put the EX back together and didn't charge me a dime. There are not many builders will stand behind their work like this on a race motor. If I had anything else other than a DS (TheBom & HPR live close to me) , Kenz would be getting all my work.