CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what should i get

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i get

hey guys, i posted this on another site, but you cant beat how much knowledge is here!

anyways, i've been happy with my ds650 for a long time, but i want a little more power. i'd like to be able to pull the hills at glamis in 3rd gear comfortably. i was thinking about just getting a cam, but i dont know how much more power that would give me. i would love to buy the stage 1 kit from ron woods, but dont have that much money. i also want to keep the bike fairly stock for reliability. all i have is a HMF slip on and no air box lid. should i get a header? will that help? most people said to drop a tooth on the front sprocket for climbing, but i like to haul *** in 5th gear so i'd rather not loose some top speed. so i'm thinking about getting 1 less tooth for duning and 1 more for high speed runs. so what do you guys think?

thanks guys!

Steven

Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if you are running 16-40 gearing i doubt you reach max rpm in the dunes in 5th gear, i found the 15 to be better, and 15-42 would pull the hills better yet doubt you would notice the top end lose, it's still pretty fast, but a cdi with a higher rpm limit will help get some of that back. All being pretty cheap mods. counter shaft sprockets are cheap at rocky mountain atv, like 15 dollars, rears are about 40 -50, cdi's are a little more people seem to like the big gun i think. Less paddles will help with top end. have you looked at the carb mods on here in old threads.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

get a TM45 carb, 15/42 gearing...you should be fine for what you want

Old 01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

how does the carb give you more power? i'll admit that im not too engine smart so, why does it help? is it just more fuel?

is 16-40 stock gearing? cause it is still stock. so if i go to 15-42 i wont notice a loss of top speed, but i will notice a faster start and better hill climbing? if i run 15-42 gearing will i need to do anything to the chain or will it be fine at the same length?

Steven

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

15 42 works with the stock chain. if you are riding in the dunes you'll like that gearing a lot,and if you are running 22" rear tires, which you should you'll see a lot of difference. The carb is nice but that is a lot of money. guys seem to have had a lot of luck with the stock carb mods. i went 45 so i can't say how they work.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your weight and why type/size paddles are you running?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was at Glamis last I could pull Olds in 3rd and maintain 4th near the top and pull China wall in 3rd easy.

At that time I was running 15x42 with 22in Sand Stars. All I had done to the quad at that time was the following:

TM 45

My quiet slipon

Big Gun CDI

No Toil filter in an open air box.

Tuned on a dyno.

I weigh 210.

I get all of this stuff off E-Bay or the garage thread, careful shopping will really help the checkbook.

Scott

Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

im right around 300lbs and im pretty sure i have 22" sand stars. im thinking about getting skat trac extremes.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

The tires will do very little to change anything for you at this point. Small difference on the hill. I go around 300 pounds myself. And the info you have now is very accurate. You will really want the 15/42 gearing and at a min. to do the stock carb mods that OMR has posted on this site. The TM45 or Lecron 46 will allow you some great power gains. Your HMF slip on will run really well for some time. It gives you some really good bottom and mid power. You lid off with the stock carb is actually more likely hurting you then helping you right now... Opening up the airbox or taking it off all together will not help you with the stock carb, but will help loads with one of the aftermarket ones. But yes they are pricey. I would get the big gun CDI, and change your gearing, and along with the stock carb mods you will notice large improvments... Then after that, you can watch e-bay or the garage thread and at some point you may find another carb at a great deal.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

going fast cost big $$