CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

AVgas and Disc type exhaust Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVgas and Disc type exhaust Q's

I know that AVgas is a topic with many different opinions, and that's fine. I'm going to start running it straight, and was wondering if you guys that use it run any kind of top-end lube. I've read it will not blend with several 2-stoke oils, but can't ever find which ones.

I also have a Graydon Proline disc-end pipe, but the end has been opened up. Would I see any benefits by getting my hands on a closed in end cap with more discs?

This is on a Stage 2 DS.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

when i install the disks on my graydon, it seems to move the torque to the mid range.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I've ran it in quite a lot of engines and a few two strokes. Never, and I do mean NEVER had a problem. Never ran top end lube. Never felt it was nessassary. I mean if an air cooled airplane engine never locks up why would any of my engines? Idle was way smother in the two strokes with it.
There is nothing special about AVgas. Just gas with lighter hydrocarbons. I don't know why it would not mix with any oil? If your worried about that just get a jar and some gas and an oil you like, mix and let set for a day or two. No phase separation, your good to go. Even the best stuff around here is only 100 octane so know your static compression.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I have run AV gas in my two strokes and my four strokes for the last 25 years. I do run top end lube in my four strokes I use the Lukas fuel stabelizer top end lube and I have not had any problems with the gas at all you can get it at almost ant auto shop like Auto Zone or Checker or Napa and it is pretty cheap to run.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

Gentlemen: I use AVGas Regularly as I own a airplane and race Mega horsepower Boats. Here is what I have learned from some of the top racers in the country and from some good friends at Shell Oil.

1. AVgas is blended with a lot better base fuel than the crap we call automotive gas. It is federally regulated so that plane do not fall out of the Sky. AvGas is made with Fuel Deicers and stablizers so that if an Airplane is stored for over 90 days and you go to fly it you won't kill yourself other people. AvGas burns slower and the higher the octane the slower it will burn. Some people think by running Avgas they will go faster??? Not always true, you could even go slower if your compression is pretty low like 9 to 1 or lower! Mercury Marine's stern drive consumer Motors are all set up to run 87 octane (Except the race motors) and if you run high octane fuel they won't make the horsepower.

The otherside of the coin is that Avgas sure like to pull the moisture from the air and we make sure in using AvGas and all RACE Fuels that we use a good water separator so to remove any water that might of accumulated in your fuel. Never store Race or Avgas outside and always store it in FULL fuel containers so any condensation will not accumulate in the tank.

As fas as a Top Lube, I strongly suggest running something like REDLINE 2 stroke Racing oil. The Avgas burns very very Dry and you need the oil as a top lube. Those who disagree, that's fine with me but I've seen $50 to $100,000 race motors blow up, so I run a top lube and I'vce never had a problem. We run 1 gallon of REDLINE to every 100 gallons. With AVGas we have to Jet 3 to 4 jet sizes richer when running a Supercharger or a Turbocharger. How do I know this from seeing the exhaust temps on the engine dyno. We run sequential Fuel injection systems so we can richen or lean out each cylinder as needed and advance the timing for each cylinder. We have a computer program that reads the Barometer, air temps, air density, and altitude and will give us a fuel analysis and tell us what fuel Maps we can run to make specific amounts of Horsepower. We can change fuel maps and either remove 300 horsepower or add in 400 horsepower. The more horsepower the higher the octane the fuel we use from 105 to 116 octane. Plus, it depends on the boost we will be running.

It's like the real Race gas you can buy such as VP 112 or AP 114. VP says there fuel will be good after a full year in the drum and I proved ot to be the case. I had 200 gallons of VP 112 race fuel we drained from our racing catamaran and I didn't feel like throwing it away so I called VP and asked about storing the fuel. I was then told it would be fine for over a years or more. After 14 months we were about to run the Boat again so I took a sample of the VP 112 race gas and gave it to friend who worked for Shell oil. Not only did he tell me the fuel was still okay.... he told me that the octane after over a year was 109 octane.

That's my 2 Cents so go run what you want. If it were me for my quads I either run race gas or Avgas 100 low lead. The automotive gas we get is total crap and I don't even like running in my riding lawn mower. The worst are the blended fuels with MTBE and Ethanol blended fuels. Read the Pumps went you go to fill up and stay away from the Ethanol & the MTBE fuels. I think most of the MTBE fuels are gone now. If you Mix a Ethanol fuel with MTBE you will be a totally plugged fuel system as the 2 don't like each other and form a sludge.

Good Luck and Be safe!
2003 Banshee 420 long Rod by Duncan International 90+ HP! 114 VP
2004 Warrior 350 4X4 (the wifes ride with ELKA Shocks!)
2006 Yamaha 450 YFZ on Nitris and 114 VP
2008 Can Am Outlander 800 (Stock as yet) I need to know what to do to this Beast??? Any suggestion?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the info guys!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Another GOOD Idea concerning AVGAS. If you don't want to use AVGas for any reason, think about this a a real PLUS! Use 100% AvGas as the final tank of fuel for the season, that is if you store your Quad or whatever run. This way you'll never be plagued with bad or sour fuel that will gum up your fuel system.
The next time you run the engine it will start right up and you will have less problems.

For a Top Lube we've been using REDLINE 2 Stroke poil with great results. Be careful and go for it!

glwbear

Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

When you use avgas does the main stay the same as pump gas or is there a difference? I had read that you have to go bigger on the main. I was trying to dial mine in today, and doing plug readings gave me nothing but white plugs. Carb mount UNI with a 155 main bogged down real bad, but the plugs were still white. The 145 main runs the best, but I'm a little nervous about the plugs being pretty white looking.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I'd try a 157 or a 158 and add some Redline or Belray or Spectro gold try about .25 to .50 oz of oil per gallon and shake real well. You might check your plug heat range and see that it is the right plug and if it is I'd try a colder plug and see if your readings change. Sometimes reading spark plugs can be a science in itself.

Whatever ran the best in jets try 2 to 3 jets richer and see what you get. AVgas has less hydro-carbons than regular fuels. We finally started running 100% Alcohol fuels as you get much more power, cooler and cleaner burning and it likes Turbos & Superchargers & EFI! The down side if that you burn about 33% to 50% more fuel than with gasoline based fuels.

A friend of mine had a HUGE 4 acre warehouse in Minnisota that was all enclosed and it had concrete as floors. This place used to be a big trucking depot and the tenant moved. He wasn't able to lease it right away and he converted a few of his 4 cycle quads to Propane gas and raised the compression and now instead of having a great big empty warehouse they Race the quads inside in shirtselves instead of 10- below Zero outside. They brought in some dirt and they have Jumps and some Backed turns and he says thay run about 60 to 75 MPH on Propane and it's a blast!

They also converted part of the place into a Paint ball field and are really having fun. If he wasn't so far away and I could get my Quad on a Plane I'd fly up for the weekend and Race with them!

Goodluck

GLWBEAR

You've got to read the porcilan all the way down into the plug and watch out if you've changed your timing or total advance.