CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who is making heel guards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is making heel guards?

Yeah, Thats what I thought. Let me/us know how you make out cause I really need to do something! Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

just following up on any ideas. There was a pair of used IMS guards on ebay that went for $120.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

if you look at the IMS heel guards, they are VERY basic & simple to duplicate. any half *** decent fab shop could do it. i chopped the hell out of my IMS guards so they would be all they could be. just my 2cents. look at my pics, there is a good pic of my IMS guards.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a set of YFZ 450 pro peg nerf bars from Pro Armor and modified them to fit. They are the strongest bars you will ever have. I can jump on one side with all of my 210 lbs and they flex just a bit. I'll get pictures soon.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Wow the YFZ ones must have been tuff to refit, their measurements are a lot different than the DS's, do your front fenders hit the nerf bars?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

Nothing hits, it took a little bending, welding, grinding, and sweat, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. They look like they belong on the DS. I had AC nerfs before, and I hated them. They were so damn tiny my boots hit them and interfered with shifting. I even modified some IMS guards to fit my stock pegs, but I thought they were junk. Even after reinforcing them I couldn't keep them from breaking. I'm looking for my photobucket album now...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Looks like I had an Imagestation account...I guess I'll be taking new pictures now. lol

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Name:  031007_12252.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  114.5 KB

Here you can see the tabs on the subframe and the fender tabs.

Name:  DSC_0067b.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  91.4 KB

Here is the front tube I welded to the frame. I plug welded the center tube from Pro Armor into a larger tube that was turned to fit the O.D. of the nerfs. Very sturdy.

Name:  DSC_0004.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  96.5 KB

And here you can see the bare frame with the front tube welded on, and the rear mounts that came with the nerfs welded to the factory peg location.

Food for thought!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

DUDE, thats a nice job you did the nerfs! they look very clean. i am surprised a bit that the ims guards were week, although i heard that from other people. i chopped & reinforced the ones that i have and i guess i am lucky that mine have'nt broke. nerf bars are a problem to find for these, they either look stupid or are too small or too weak. i wiped mine out 2 weeks ago and after looking i bought a set of 06 nerf off the forum. again nice lob.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks! It really wasn't a lot of work. Anyone could do it with a 4 1/2" angle grinder, a welder, and some steel laying around. I would never buy another set of nerfs for this machine. These look like they belong there, and hold like a dream. The pegs are awesome, they really grab your boots.

It only took about 10 hours of fab, plus painting and such. I was learning how to use a bridgeport at school, so that added to my fab time.

I can provide better detailed pics if anyone wants them.

I was extremely disappointed with the IMS guards. It seemed like they were made from aluminum wire. Not only did they bend and break, the amount of fasteners required to hold both nerfs and heel guards is ridiculous. Extra maintenance.

Quick Reply: Who is making heel guards?