CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning

Stir,
For jetting I have 155 main, 42.5 pilot, 80fy2-97 needle on the middle clip, 1.75 turns on the screw. I'm not sure of the pumper yet. I just installed it and the throttle response was good so I didn't mess with it. I didn't test the main yet because I don't have the room. That could be hurting me but it sounds close based on your set up. What size engine is your set up for?

My floats are at 19mm. I will move them down an extra mm next time I'm in there. The stumble is not a deal breaker right now. I'll know more when I run against other quads. I think I was ovver rating the expected power increase.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

I've been bouncing between two threads here. I'm wondering about the pipe working and getting my TM45 jetted. Sorry for those who are guiding me. I want to keep you all informed of our findings.

About my jetting, I put in a 165 and the plug was white porcelain and sooty around the steel perimeter. I seen the white and figured lean but was wondering about the soot. I put in a 170 and it looked the same. I'm thinking plug washing is happening. I put in a 150 and now I have color even around the steel perimeter. looks perfect but because of my advanced cdi and 11.5:1 I was cautioned to run on the rich side. I'll go up to 152.5. I lowered the needle one clip to the second from the top. Feels like I could go another but before I do, I need to make the pilot leaner. The smallest I have is a 37.5. I'm 2.5 turns out and when I ride the back side of the gears and then whack the throttle to rip a jump, it feels loaded up. I think the 25 or 30 as suggested will make that sweet. Please, give me confirmation I'm close on jetting with a big bore. Stir, if you have a big bore, I'm right there based on what you said. Once I know I'm in the ball park, I can mess more with the pipe. Then I can make small carb adjustments the pipe wants. Before now, no matter what I do with the pipe, nothing changes. I have washers in the disks for spacers and The total open area is about the same as 28 per print disks. I need to do pipe testing when I get the carb close. If I find this pipe works, I will order new disks so I can fine tune. That will be about $100 I think. Ouch.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a stock bore with the new style JE 11.5 piston which is said to be around a 13 or a little better in the real world. I just know I could not run it on pump gas.

I have HPR HR2 cams with a trail port head I got from Pipelayer and one of my quiet pipes.

I have found that the tuning guide in the TM manual is pretty good in the real world. Basically if you are pulling 3rd or 4th at full throttle for a few seconds and back off a little and it stumbles you are rich on the main, if it feels stronger when you back off its lean.

I messed around with the needles and pilot and always came back to the 2nd groove and a 25 pilot. This is with a 50 pump nozzle.

I did have some trouble with a set of jets I got off of E-Bay that the guy had reamed out, it was very hard to tune (of course!) and once I got back from my last trip to Dumont I tossed them and got a new set from RW.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

So, you have a stock bore using a 145ish main. Does a big bore with a 150 to 152.5 sound right? Based on my above post, I like what the plug looked like. I get nervois because I'm searching what others run and it ranges from 150 to 170. I know pipes and porting make a difference. On a four stroke, how easy is it to detect detonation? I don't hear pinging. On my two strokes I can "feel" the motor and if you don't react fast enough, you know what happens. On the four stroke, I don't feel any thing different from the 170 to 150 so I'm not confident. As for my compression, it is a JE piston but I cc'd the head and set it to 11.5:1. I'll keep posting what I find out.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'm running a 145 with a direct mount filter at sea level, the TM 45 tends to drop 10 going from a snorkel to a direct mount. I would be around a 152.5 or 155 at sea level with a snorkel.

When I first got my new build running I was rich, and as I leaned it out the A/F ratio to 13 to 1 I started hearing pinging. To be honest pinging sounds a lot like chain slap to me, but from the top end of the engine.

I'm also running 110 Octane leaded race gas.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

If it is audable, then I'm not worried. I don't hear anything and I was paying attention. In my 2-strokes you can't hear anything. I can hear it in my truck if I lug a gear to hard. At 8500 with my exhaust, I was worried I wouldn't hear it.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

My pipe DBs at 93.4 DB, so is very close to stock sounds, but I think you would still hear it if your not too loud.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

O.K., I did some riding this past weekend. Overall, runs good. The main looks good with a 150. Checking the plugs comming off the track shows very black. That is with a 25 pilot. I moved the needle clip to the top and same thing. I also shortened the pump to a bit over idle to just before half. I realize most of my riding is point and shoot; idle then full then idle. So, everytime I whack the throttle, I shoot in raw fuel, maybe that is where the black plugs are from. I'm thinking about running a leaner needle. 98 I think. I didn't hear or feel detonation at all.

Why do you think I need to run so much leaner than everyone else? Is my 730 a terd that cannot pull fuel or is it such an awsome port job that it pulls tons of fuel from smaller jets? If it is awsome, I'm not impressed by its performance but it was interesting to ride my 730 and the wifes stock 650 back to back. WOW what a difference! I say 730's for everyone!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 98 I tried for awhile you can try out if you want.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

HI how are you comeing on your tuneing of the tm45. Did you go rideing this weekend? did you make any adjustments, I would like to ask a few questions,
what spark plug are you running. what is the air temp. have you check to make
sure the slide is going all the way up? did you remove the bolt in the thumb throttle houseing to install cable? have you check your valve clearance?
When we were running a single tm45 at 60deg. 900 ft. with a direct mount
filter the jet we run was 145. 30 pilot jet 50 on acc. pump 97 needle with clip
in center slot. with 110 race gas. sugguestion you need to change your jets size
about every 10-15 deg. and every 2000ft in alt. just an avg.that works for me!
are you useing mikuni jets. Also to make it faster to change the jets you can
get the main jet extension and fuel bowl nut for tm48.this will put the jet on the out side of the bowl. GOOD LUCK let us know the out come.
we are past the single carb,

GREG hsr-tm45s

Quick Reply: I could use a little guidance on TM45 tuning