CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

piggy backing wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piggy backing wheelie

I've been wanting to practice my wheelies and do something crazy/exotic and fun.

I feel that I have progressed a LONG way in one year of riding..... This time last year I was lucky to keep my front end in the air for 10 seconds in a wheelie. Today I did two runs that were each about a mile and a quarter in length. (one country block/concession)

I will eventually get the camera out with someone else on another vehicle to film me attempting to do 4 concessions if all goes well.

However, I actually get slightly bored after wheelieing for 5 minutes, so I was wondering if it was possible to catwalk the quad at a steady speed- and have a ute travel just in front of me at almost the exact same speed. Then I would try to advance slowly and hook my bumper onto the rear rack of the ute (Or set the front tires in the back of a pickup truck)

It would be cool if I learned how to do this. I want to progress even more- but I'm wondering if this is an extremely bad idea..... the ute would probably be a bit safer than a pickup truck, but either one would look AWESOME.

I am still surprised by how much the ds250 likes to balance during a wheelie- it doesn't come up as easy as a 400+ class quad, but it'll hold itself in the air with the proper weight rider.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

i dunno about ur 250, but the 650 u can walk it in any gear at a certain RPM at the sweet spot and not run outa gear, standing up makes it a lot easier, and yea its very easy to wheelie with someone on the back, with the weight its less effort to bring the front end up. You wanna try somethin tough, do a wheelie, turn the handlebars, let go with ur left hand and reach back and touch the ground [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] just dont come down with ur handlebars turned haha good luck

Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NickDS650
You wanna try somethin tough, do a wheelie, turn the handlebars, let go with ur left hand and reach back and touch the ground [img][/img] just dont come down with ur handlebars turned haha good luck</end quote></div>

I've seen done on youtube a fair bit- and coming down is what scares me......

Heck, I get scared when the I let the front drop while sitting on the bars.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

You're getting too bored out there Jacob. What you need to do is come out west in the US and ride some dunes, then these wheelies won't be all of your exitment anymore. Doing a wheelie across the face of a 200ft dune would keep you exited just fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I know man.... It sucks though that I have no one to ride with. I used to have about 8 guys to ride with, but none of them can afford to stay in the sport because they keep on having to rebuild their bikes- or they have to buy new bikes since they outgrew the older ones.

It's no fun riding on a track by yourself- and I think that hitting jumps on a trail quad isn't very good for me or the quad. (It's been ridden hard alright- and put through more than it was built to handle.)

I wonder what a 250 would feel like in the dunes.... probably like a little CRF/XR50 or something. It would be nice to live in the states where you can get quads for 10-30% cheaper than Canada, and have the ability to ride the dunes, and having a stronger quad (racing) community.

Anyways, back on topic- I'm not really sure if I was able to explain my idea, so I'll try it again. Is it safe/reasonable/possible to have 2 quads going....er... *hide the young children*...... doggy style? Sort of like this: http://www.baldwinsautomotive.com/tow.jpg

Where the car would be the ds250 doing a wheelie, and the truck would represent the ute- so the ds250 would be setting it's front end on the back rack of the ute...

EDIT:

PS: I got it going for 2 full concessions today (country "blocks") Each concession is 1.25milesX1.25miles or 2kmx2km or 1000acres or 400hectares..... just to be clear on how long we're talking here...... Is it time to get out the camera? Or should I wait till I can keep it for a 3rd or 4th concession.... I'm tempted to go either way because 1) 2.5miles is HUGE already- no one I know in person has done that. 2) 5 miles sounds insane.... it would be a vast milestone- and If I can reach it, I don't think anyone that I know in person will be able to match that for a while.

My dillemna is this: Imagine how much cooler it would be if your first FMX trick was a backflip as opposed to when you have been doing no footers, nothings, can's, and supermans for ages already and finally progressed to flipping. This is how I feel- it's cooler if it looks like you are a natural who instantly went from wheelieing only 1/8th mile to a 5 miler than to progress slowly.

PSS: It feels SO good to get this far.... people lauged when I told them I wanted to attempt a 5 miler- they told me I'd be lucky to maybe get one mile...... 2.5 miles later- now who's laughing? ........this guy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Wow two miles stand up or sit down wheelies?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Wow two miles stand up or sit down wheelies?I don't wanna sound mean but I need some proof but I don't dout you've done it but just want some proof thats all.</end quote></div>

Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

sorry screwed up

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry man, don't have proof- but I can guarantee that it was 2 miles.

It was a standing up wheelie- on the grab/wheelie bar/sub frame. (What some people like to call a "pu$$y wheelie" I agree that this is a pu$$y wheelie, but not when it's 2 concessions.)

I sent you a pm showing where I did it- exactly.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

Wow two miles stand up or sit down wheelies?I don't wanna sound mean but I need some proof but I don't dout you've done it but just want some proof thats all.</end quote></div>

Well, I got the a video made and uploaded to youtube- it still needs to be processed though..... it was a 600+ mb file so it takes a while.

So there you go you doubting bastards! Just kidding, it is reasonable to ask for proof.... I got it too.

I could have gone farther but I got distracted- plus the camera had only 70 seconds left of recording time so I was curious as to if I could get it all on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJTgGo9wnU

High quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJTgGo9wnU&fmt=18

I hope the links work by the time anyone sees them.

Quick Reply: piggy backing wheelie