CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My DS Glamis Dune Play Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DS Glamis Dune Play Set Up

As some of you know I'm a bit of a renegade on doing things and have rubbed some folks the wrong way to set up my DS for my play riding style, the last Motor build due to a crank going out brought on changes due to the builders **** thought process's, so I went ahead changed the Top end Jug and Piston, with a rebuild motor and with Jeff Ross help on the air filter system I jumped up 6 more HP and increased the torque another 8 ft lbs from my last build. so I'm a happy camper on the motor as of now.

All that increase of power doesn't do squat if your not hooking up in the sand, I went ahead and went with an ACE plus 4" swinger and re valved the rear shock and new spring then searched all over for a plus 2 " forward 1" arms that no one made and then decided to go through a Dave at Fullerton Sand Tires and get a set of Fireball Racing A Arms Plus 1 to 1 1/2" forward 1" and there ball joints are damn near indestructible and rebuildable, the ideal was a 460 Lbs plus quad with a 345 lbs rider was sinking into the Glamis soft sand too much and making it difficult to maneuver in the small dunes and bowls, hence a wider footprint to dispense the weight, re valved front WORK shocks with this new front end worked better than I imagined but the best part were the custom front and rear tires I got lucky on , the fronts are the STU Razors 22" 8" x 10" on Blue label 1" offset Rims are 7" WIDE, and they FLOAT!! the rears are STU Sand Skates 22" Comp Grooved to leave a small paddle like the Sand Stars except they help with forward bite on 10" Blue Label 9" wide x 2" offset rims, no you don't get the hook up as to Scats straight paddles but what we couldn't believe when testing was with this combination made the whole quad steer with ease when turning in sharp dunes and still climb the hills with ease, these tires like to spin in the sand also.
Now just hit the throttle your DS uses power to turn the quad instead of manhandling and forcing the DS to get it to sharply turn, we came very close in the handling with a set of Edges 22" 11" x 8 Paddles good hookup some force with the throttle to make them turn as well.
If your into just play dunning like me with friends and family then you might want to look into this set up its not cheap but what you get out of it is a drastically better handling quad, Oh also Dave hooked me up with a new Steering Stem Anti Vibration plus 1" also which was nice for long rides.

Also Just a note I looked into Zero Preload Setup (PEP Works Elka) and found out being over 250Lbs isn't the way to go
Name:  DSCF0649.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  184.7 KB

Old 12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Sounds like a fun and reliable set up ERBE. What kind of cost did you run into with this? I'm all about the dune experience and don't do much hill shooting at all so it may be something I could find myself tinkering with in the future.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well I found this set on Flea Bay for 300, the rears run about 400 PLUS on rims, yeah I said YIKES too! that why I have a set of edges that we compared them too.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erbe,
What do the tire/wheel combos weigh?

What filter did you end up with?

I'm running 22x11x10 Edge 10 paddles now, and really liking it.

Scott

Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Rear were 15 lbs each fronts were 11 lbs each
No Toil on the stock Snorkle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TheStir

Erbe,

What do the tire/wheel combos weigh?

What filter did you end up with?

I'm running 22x11x10 Edge 10 paddles now, and really liking it.

Scott</end quote></div>

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

My Edge 10 paddles are 18Lbs ea on Blacks, and I will weigh my new fronts when they get here, I'm trying a set of 21x7x10 Mohawks.

I wish Douglas posted their wheel weights.

Keep us posted on how the Blue labels hold up, they are a good 4.5 to 5 Lbs lighter than the Black for the set of 4.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

I like the STU Mini desert tracks

Old 12-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Update on tire weight...
21x7x10 Skat Mohawks 12Lbs ea on Black Labels (.160)
22x11x10 10 Paddle Edge 18Lbs ea on Black Labels.

So you have a good 7Lbs savings over mine Erbe and all rotating!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said there great combo for Glamis dunning, add the light'n hubs front and back and the Alum Sprocket hub, 520 Chain Conv, Alum rear Sprocket, im dumping the Alum Heel Guards on my IMS pegs soon, even the new front end is Lighter than the stock A Arms.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Diggin deeper then dirtbikes! 10 Paddle extreme haulers sandstars upfront blue labels all the way around

Quick Reply: My DS Glamis Dune Play Set Up