CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need Help with charging system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with charging system

are they plugs just like the main light and what am i looking for again when i unplug them...im gonna do this tom

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

THERE JUST LITTLE PIGTAIL PLUGS.THERE EASY TO SEE WHEN YOU LOOK BEHIND THE AUX.LIGHTS AND WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE AFTER YOU UNPLUG THEM IS THE BIKE KEEPS ITS CHARGE RATE ABOVE12.9 VOLTS WITH BOTH FAN AND THE MAIN HEAD LIGHT ON AT PROPER IDLE SPEEDS AND MIN 13.2 AT 3000 RPM'S THESE ARE MINAMAL READINGS FOR THE BIKE TO MAINTAIN A GOOD CHARGE.FOR INSTANCE I JUST WENT OUT AND STARTED MY WIFES BIKE THE BATTERY WAS ONLY 12.1 WITH OUT IT RUNNING I STARTED IT IT WENT TO 13.7 AT IDLE AND 14.7 @ 2000 RPM THEN WENT STEADILY DOWN UNTIL THE BATTERY SETTLED AT 13.7 FULL CHARGE.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

NOW AFTER READING THE POST COMPLETELY THESE THINGS. COME TO MIND AUTOBROKER FIRST PRO COM I HAVE NO FAITH IN THEM.SECOUND ITS OBVIUOSLY LOSING THE EXCITER VOLTAGE WHETHER OR NOT ITS THE PROCOMS FAULT OR A GROUND FRICTION PROBLEM.IM IN THE DARK ON THAT YOU SAY YOU TESTED THE GROUNDS HOW DID YOU DO THAT???.THIRD YOU SEEM TO HAVE A FIRM GRASP ON TROULBE SHOOTING AND THE FIRST TWO IDEAS WOULD BE NEXT IN THAT CASE AND WERE YOU USING MECHANIC GRADE CALES OR THE TRASH THEY SELL IN CHEAP AUTO PARTS STORES. PRESSED COPPER BATTERY CABLES I WOULD NEVER USE ANY CABLES UNDER #4'S WITH A CLAMP THAT WILL DANG NEAR CUT YOUR FINGER OFF IF YOU CLAMPED IT ON ONE.I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY CUSTOMERS CALL ME AND TELL ME I TRIED JUMPING IT AND IT STILL WON'T START. AND I GET THERE AND THERE USING TRASH CABLES THE FIRST THING I DO IS TAKE THEM AND THROW THEM IN THE GARADGE OR AT LEAST AS FAR AS I CAN TAKE A BRAND NEW SET OF # 4 CABLES OUT OF ONE OF MY SIDE BOXES.JUMP THERE MACHINE AND GIVE THEM A BILL THAT INCLUDES THERE NEW CABLES AND TELL THEM NEVER TO CALL ME AGAIN UNLESS THIER USING THOSE CABLES. AND IT WONT START MY PERSONAL CABLES ARE 1.0 WELDING CABLE WITH BALLCAMP ALIGATOR CLANPS THEY ARE 25' LONG AND WILL OUT JUMP ANY CHECKER OR AUTO ZONE THAT ARE ONLY 8' LONG.SIZE MATTERS IN VOLTAGE AND CONTINUITY.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

ok so start bike ..take reading...then unplug them and watch volt meter....then what?...im getting confused

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

YES START THE BIKE TAKE YOUR READING .THEN TURN ON ALL LIGHTS SEE WHAT YOUR READING IS THEN.THEN UNPLUG THE AUX LIGHTS AND TAKE A READING THEN. THE PLUG BEHIND THE AUX LIGHTS IS JUST A BULLET PLUG. YOU JUST PULL ON BOTH SIDES IT COMES APART.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

ok here is what i got.....quad off.....12.8
quad on...14.78 idle
2000 rpms...16.50 and climbing
low beams...14,70
high beams...14.67....my aux lights wont come on for some reason...they havent been coming on when high beam r on until like 10 in later...has to be them...once the come on i will take a reading and try to un plug them...BY THE WAY ITS FREEZING OUT IN THE GARAGE ...29 DEGREES......BBBRRRR

Old 12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

MORE...AUX LIGHTS STILL NOT COMING ON...
run 15 min....idle...12.70
fan kicked on....12.37
lights/fan....12.19 and fading
no light/fan...rev to 2000 rpm....volts drop ...

az tried to call you but cell was not taking incoming voice

Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I MUST HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE I WAS ON IT ALL DAY BUT IM HERE NOW IM GOING TO TAKE A SHOWER JUST GOT OFF WORK.!!!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry AZ, I been away from my computer for a few days, I do appreciate all the help. In response to the last questions you asked me: I've also had someone tell me that Procom is "junk". My multi-meter is a digital Craftsmen, about two years old was around $120. To test if grounds are good I took the positive lead from the multi-meter and hooked in to the positive battery terminal and then with the negative I hooked it to the different frame and engine grounds, when I did this I got the same voltage as the battery has (engine was off during test) which indicates a connection to ground, doesn't it? When I did the test with a cable direct from battery to engine I used mid-grade jumper cables in new condition and they have strong jaws and please remember I have the same problems when the engine is cold or hot, it makes no difference. I know this because after initial start up I can jumper the cooling fan to run and have the problem (voltage/charging drop). Does anyone make a voltage regulator besides Procom or Bombardier for the 2000 DS? When you ground the battery to the engine just exactly where on the engine do you place the ground?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK CRAFTSMAN MAKES A GOOD METER BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER TRY TAKING AMP READINGS WITH OUT A DC CLAMP ON METER IF YOURS IS A CLAMP ON YOU HAVE A TRUE READING ASLO YOU MUST ISOLATE THE WIRE YOU ARE TAKING YOUR READING AND MAKE SURE THE JAWS OF THE METER ARE NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING ELSE OR THE SAME DISTANCE OF THE WIRE YOU TESTING FROMA ANOTHER WIRE BECAUSE ITS A FIELD TEST.AND FIELD INTERFERANCE WILL INTERRUPT YOUR READING.SECOUND THE BOMB IS THE BEST FOR STOCK FORM BIKES IT IS NOT JUNK LIKE SOME BELIVE IT IS A GOOD REGULATOR RECTIFIER.I HAVE USED ONE OFF A ONAN CCKB BEFORE OR A KOHLER MAGNUM BOTH THESE CAN BE MODIFIED TO USE AND PUT OUT TWICE THE AMPS WITHOUT OVER WORKING THE STATOR.AND I TELL EVERY ONE TO CLEAND OFF THE PAINT ON THERE MOTOR AND GROUND THERE I HAVE A LITTLE UGLY SPOT ON ALL MY MOTOR I THROUGHLY SAND A SPOT ON THE CASES AND PUT A SOLID GROUND ON ALL MY DS'S.

Quick Reply: Need Help with charging system