CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight conversion

whats up fellas? can you still get that headlight conversion/update? my headlight broke off the 2 top mounting tabs the other day. I see there is a headlight on ebay(the newer style) just not sure if it will bolt up to the brackets on my 02 baja or not. is gary still selling the conversion kits? thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Do a search on this topic. I posted a link to all of the information needed quite some time ago. The whole conversion cost $60-70 and about thirty minutes of your time. I get a kick everytime I see these 04 and newer lights going on ebay for upwards of $80. You can get them yourself from the dealer for between $50-60. I think Alba was the highest I saw at $57. And from the dealer you will get a brand new one...
When you factor in the S&H the one running right now is already more than one from a dealer.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Pro Rider

did a search before I posted this. link is no good. the only thing I really need to know is if the mounting is the same. the rest is easy.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider

when I first looked at the one on ebay, it was $39.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

OOPS! Sorry, the linky no worky. I'll PM the Stir and see if he can rejuvinate it. It has part numbers, step by step instructions, and pics to help out.
So how ya been bus? Haven't seen you around here for quite some time. Lots of old timers have moved on or moved over. Remember you on frequently back in the day.

The new headlight does mount up the same way basically, but instead of the two rigid tabs molded into the headlight there is a somewhat flexible bracket that mounts up using the same bolts. Same for the lower tab. You do need a box cutter to trim about 3/4 inch off of the original hole on the fascia. Just mark it with a pen and whittle away...

Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider

back in the day when DS650 was the only subject? yea, I remeber you too. thanks for asking. I started riding other machines. so, the wife has been riding the ds since 05. now I have sold my other quads, and back to riding the ds again. she now drives the support vehicle. a 09 RZR-S. I tuned up the old DS and ran it down at the oregon dunes for the first time in a long time. had to much fun, and broke my headlight. where are you riding these days? did you find the scum bags that stole your ds?

thanks for the info. I looked at that headlight on ebay. it did not look right when I first posted this. then I realized the picture of the back was upside down. it looked like it had 2 mounting holes on bottom, and one on top. so, if understand this correctly, I need light, bracket, plastic bezel. trip hood as needed. splice wires? I am thinking weather pack connectors? do you have pics of yours? the part numbers would be sweet. I checked with the local can-am dealer here in portland. they did not know s**t about converting. they just wanted part numbers. also TVI not in the can-am business anymore? I know, old news right? thanks again.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will get all the old stuff posted up later tonight or tomorrow. I think I got almost all of the old stuff from the good old days....

Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Military Rider

Yeah bus, back in the good old days when the DS was THE only topic. No Outlanders, no Renegades, no Traxters, no DS450's, 250's, and 90's and 70's. Just lots of building, modifying, and sharing of tricks and tips. I miss that but so life goes...

I've been eyeballing those RZR S's myself and found a dealer here in SoCal that will let them go from time to time for $10,999. I almost snatched one up when he told me that but there are so many four seat rails and awesome two seaters right now because of the economy that they can be had for half or even a third of what the RZR cost. Kinda hard to justify it when you break it down like that.

We still make many trips to Glamis and Dumont and had my first St. Anthony's experience at last years DS Days. I will make the trip to Idaho atleast everyother year for as long as I ride. Words cannot explain what that place has to offer. And I enjoy Little Sahara Utah too. This years DS Days will be held there over Labor Day weekend. Coral Pink is next on my list of dunes to conquer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming: This should contain all of the information needed for said mod/conversion. Please save it to your files as it's getting harder and harder to come by this information.
Many thanks go out to TheStir for archiving this stuff for US.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DS650_Headlight_Mod[1].pdf (762.2 KB, 2806 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Yup, them were for sure the good ole days....I do miss them too. Can't wait to see ya at DS Days Vic.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

thanks very much gentleman. printing as I speek.

we try to make that st. anthony trip one time a year. have missed it the last couple of years. time to plan a trip. we were just on a week long bike trip. rode to the north rim of the grand canyon. I remember seeing signs to coral pink along highway 89 south of Kanab. wish I had my quad at that time instead of my bike.

Yea, the RZR was a spendy little item. and I have seen some deals even on new buggies that are less $ since we purchased it. it has however grown on me. the more I ride it, the more I like it. anyway, thanks again for link. I am headed to the canam dealer. later.

Quick Reply: headlight conversion