CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Web cams and Mikuni carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone on this thread is forcing anyone else to go with OMW. That is just their experience. Some will say Woods, some the Bom, some profess Preacher, some KMS, others TVI. Even some who are in teh upper echelons of society will say Pami. There has been no forcing of the issue for OMW.
I can say this though, I am a hard core duner, no drags, very little hill shooting, and I have had every make and grind of cams available to us and what is in MY bike right now are the Pami 2 race cams. The best duning cam I have found yet. And if I'm not mistaken the cheapest Pami cams are $920 USD.

There is no need to not come on here often because we don't all agree with one another, that's how we've all lived and learned over the years. The great debates we've had have turned into some awesome running DS's. I say if you can sleep comfortably at night knowing what you paid for different items then who cares what others think???
Let's keep this civil and see how it all works out, some newbs may find this info very useful to them so if it doesn't turn into slander then we've gained some proud new members to our community in the process.
Peace ya'll

Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by brian 68
that is the reason i dont go on this site that much anymore. you might as well change the name to omw connections . and dont get me wrong, if it wern't so exspensive i would use his crank, cylinder ect. and for the matter pammi cams are even cheaper. and better for racing aps . but i wanted to keep my old cams , which weren't stock . and after building motors for the last 15 + years . i have learned not to cut corners. so go cheap if you want.
but i would never pay all that money and use old cams. when they regrind they don't redo the journals so if it isn't up to specs oh well right? you can get annother set next year.
i have used web cams and had no problems with them , and a friend of mine runs one of the oldest shops around , i had them within 2 weeks . and they pull from about 2500-8000
with my set up. who does the regrinds for eric? funny that he has 3 's and 4's and web now sells to new versions very similar. the bottom line is you get what you pay for!
The Atv connections are the OMW connections. LOL Sorry, but most of the OMW guys are at another location, and almost never come over here because of all the past crap.
I have ran RWR, KMS, OMW, and various other. I have also spoke to each and every one many times and they are all good peeps. I do not feel I went cheap, and you keep your other cams and not using them as cores makes some difference in price. But whatever.

Can you tell me of any builder that has only 1 or 2 cam grinds? RWR has 3 available, Pami has more, and Eric OMW has more then just the 3 and 4. Because of the style build I have, I personally run his 5s. They are making the best overall power. I know another that is pulling really great power from his 2s. Vic's build as he said, has only really liked the Pami 2s ( I am glad you got a super deal on those bro). Other's have had and loved the 109 web cams in thier builds, in fact one of our milder builds really liked them. I have another bike with a different port job, that hated my 5s and shined on the 4s.

You are correct, OMW has Web grind his cams to his specs. However, I can tell you that Web does not shelf any based on his specs. The ones they have added, were based off a lot of time research and money spent by Mitch (Erbe). He was on a mission for himself and found some nice combos.

I am not an OMW loyalist. It is simple. As of right now, I believe he has the best of the best parts for the DS. If someone comes up with a better part, guess what I am going to have that and recommend it. The funny thing is, so will Eric. LOL

Old 06-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Originally Posted by aceisback
I don't think anyone on this thread is forcing anyone else to go with OMW. That is just their experience. Some will say Woods, some the Bom, some profess Preacher, some KMS, others TVI. Even some who are in teh upper echelons of society will say Pami. There has been no forcing of the issue for OMW.
I can say this though, I am a hard core duner, no drags, very little hill shooting, and I have had every make and grind of cams available to us and what is in MY bike right now are the Pami 2 race cams. The best duning cam I have found yet. And if I'm not mistaken the cheapest Pami cams are $920 USD.

There is no need to not come on here often because we don't all agree with one another, that's how we've all lived and learned over the years. The great debates we've had have turned into some awesome running DS's. I say if you can sleep comfortably at night knowing what you paid for different items then who cares what others think???
Let's keep this civil and see how it all works out, some newbs may find this info very useful to them so if it doesn't turn into slander then we've gained some proud new members to our community in the process.
Peace ya'll
Ace, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. And I know, sometimes I tend to get a bit mouthy. That is a vice of mine that I need to work on. But I really do try make it clear that my views are OPINION and not FACT unless I do have concrete proof to back up what I think is FACT. Or I base my opinions on my own experiences. I also have used THEBOM, Woods, and Pami, and now I am with OMW and very satisfied. But that doesnt mean I have any less respect for the other 3 or their customers. My theory is, run what you want to run and be happy with it, but dont diss me for doing the same thing. I also think that if someone were to come on and say OMWs stuff is junk, BOMs stuff is junk, Pami is junk, etc etc etc, they better have concrete proof to back up their claims. Otherwise they are making a fool of themselves, and their claims are based on EMOTION and not FACT.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

well i might have come on strong , but i bought a set of pammi cams about a year ago for 580 + shipping directly from godfrey maybe i got a deal . don't know don't care. and i never said i didn't like erics stuff . but i don't drag race strickly, and no i havn't tried one of his lectrons , but i have others, and simply find the mikuni to be more trouble free. and since i do alot of trail/ back roads riding i need alot of low and torque. the pammi cams fit my riding style when i was younger.but the 590 suite me now. make no mistake i would have no problem with erics cams , any grind , i only mentioned the two because that is all i concidered, but since i am building for myself , i dont mind spending to get reliability so new cams reground is the only way to go for me since your journal arn't reground .it was a toss up between the two .also i did'nt have to have the valves done, or new guides, or seals or for that matter a new timing chain. it just makes me feel better.
i don't build to be cheap. and havn't found any part to work best with every other part made. in my opinion it is the hole package working together, no matter who makes what. one cam favors
one pipe ,port design ect. onother likes something else, make no mistake my second rate parts havn't let me down yet. but i do pass alot of guys with the best of this and that. lol

Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I would just like to add some info that everyone might appreciate, and Im not trying to pour gas on the fire LOL.

I have 2 DS's, one is full drag, and the other is a duner/play racer/all day rider. The duner is 770 cc's with a single 48 Lectron and OMW #5 cams, which are the high rev full race cams, and that motor makes 61 ft lbs of torque. Which is huge IMO. It actually makes more peak torque than my drag bike does. My point is, that even though those cams (#5s) are meant for high rev drag motors, doesnt mean they are lazy on the bottom end. In fact "lazy" would be the farthest from the truth.

And talk about fun to ride LOL, that 770 is a blast. You can be cruising along at a low rpm and stab the throttle, and that motor will literally try to pull the handle bars out of your hands.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

I will second that, the 770 will try to pull the handle bars out of your hands and leave you behind.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Range Rover

the more displacement, or stroke, the bigger cam you need to keep the peak hp at the same rpm range . my point being have you tried the 5's on a stock bore. if so how was the bottom.? not being the expert you all are ,i would asume a basic 730 would have the broadest curve with the 4's or 3's . either way everytime some one want';s to get a little more than what they have. its always the same answers you need to dump 3 to 8 grand
and do exactly what i did . dont get me wrong i want as much hp as possible , but not everyone want's to spend premium. i'm running around 70 + hp now and don't know if droping another 3 to 4 grand to gain 15 -20 at best on average, and get into the reliabilty factor is worth it.and i have heard they are reliable dont get me wrong. being a good fabricator i am going to see how i like the gsxr 750 motor since they are cheap and easy to get
and yes i will have web do a custom grind for me. and if i'm not happy . then the 800 is next. and yes a crank kit / cylinder kit may only cost 2700 , but after flywheel , new cams, ign, exhaust, or whatever else you dont have you end up around 3500.
i'm curious how long does the clutch last with 60+ torque, i had my hub and basket modded when i installed my last clutch. and so far so good. but im sure i just wasted time and was took. after all a clutch kit should be less than 200 right. them damn details.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, your looking at it wrong. Erics cams (3s 4s and 5s) are meant for different applications. CCs really has nothing to do with it. The 3s are for aggressive trail riding and such. Also work well for bigger 300lbs riders because of the early power they make. The 5s are for all out drag racing and hill shooting, making max high end power. And the 4s are kind of in between. Best of both worlds. He has different variations of each cam. Meaning a #5 meant for a 650 is going to be different than a #5 for a 800. The base specs are the same, but all the other things involved in a cam grind are going to be set specifically to your motor. Its nothing like buying a set of axtel cams or 109s or 590s which are going to be the exact same every time. With Eric, your basically getting a set of custom ground cams for your specific motor. Which is very cool IMO.

Brian 68, how big is your motor now? Is it a 730 with these 590 cams and a single 48? If so, Im going to guess that your probably not making 70 hp.

I run the OMW clutch which is going on its second year, and holding up fine. The basket and hub and all that, is stock. With the omw steels and fibers only. That set up will hold up to 120+ hp just fine.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

The primary factors for cam selection are engine displacement, mechanical compression ratio, and the most important: rpm range. However, other factors such as induction and exhaust airflow, stroke, rod length, rod-to-stroke ratio, gearing and total bike weight also come into play. Once these factors are known, camshafts with appropriate variables can be selected. Common camshaft variables include valve lift, duration, overlap, and the timing of the valve events (points at which the valves open and close). In the case of racing camshafts, rate of lift is also a factor. Nevertheless, these variables are critical in determining not only an engine's maximum power output but also the shape of its power curve.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

yeah - these journals are ALL jacked up !

Wouldn`t run `em if you gave them to me ...

Attached Thumbnails Web cams and Mikuni carb questions-omwcams.jpg  

Quick Reply: Web cams and Mikuni carb questions