CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Banshee drama

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee drama

OK, when I started out with my 2000 DS650 Iv'e been through alot of changes. At first I thought since it was a 650cc that it can atleast keep up with a fully piped, and jetted Yamaha Banshee 350cc, well I was wrong. So I had the compression worked on still to no avail. secondly I had to put a JE Piston, and new rings, alone with a port, and polish job, because of bad suggestion, eventhough eventually I would have did it regardless, I was ready but all done now, but guess what?.....still can't beat those, Banshee boys. But I am more comfortable then they are after a long rock day HA HA. I need a TRX450r....parts mann.... parts so easy to come by.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

don't get a 450r.. My banshee with t-4's, lgihtened flywheel, milled head, and jetted with only a 300 main would EAT those the most. The only 450 that ever gave me a problem was the ltz450r... mostly because i am 240lbs and the people riding them were around 100 lbs. the Cannondale/ATK quads are pretty fockin fast too

Your ds650 was never meant to be drag raced. It's a heavy turd( no offense) It was designed to be a big couch you rode around the desert on. Sort of like the banshee, which also was designed for desert racing.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Speedy2222
don't get a 450r.. My banshee with t-4's, lgihtened flywheel, milled head, and jetted with only a 300 main would EAT those the most. The only 450 that ever gave me a problem was the ltz450r... mostly because i am 240lbs and the people riding them were around 100 lbs. the Cannondale/ATK quads are pretty fockin fast too

Your ds650 was never meant to be drag raced. It's a heavy turd( no offense) It was designed to be a big couch you rode around the desert on. Sort of like the banshee, which also was designed for desert racing.
i wouldnt say the ds was never meant to be drag raced, it did quite well at four stroke wars for quite a few years. everything can be made fast with the right parts and money, but it doesnt take a lot to make banshees fast. i have a ported and piped banshee and a yfz 450 with some mods and my brothers have ds650's and my buddy has had a 450r and now a raptor 700 and we have done and seen lots of drag racing over the years at silver lake michigan. the banshees can be really fast but dont underestimate the 450s. they can be faster for less work. it does take a lot more money to make the ds650 a fast drag bike though, you usually have to put them on a diet.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !
Talking

The DS never meant to be drag raced??????LOL....The Ds owns most of the single cylinder (2 or 4 stroke) records, and all 4 stroke records. Thats pretty good for a quad that isnt supposed to be drag raced.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

"cough"Greengoblin"Cough"

Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally Posted by Goodsound
The DS never meant to be drag raced??????LOL....The Ds owns most of the single cylinder (2 or 4 stroke) records, and all 4 stroke records. Thats pretty good for a quad that isnt supposed to be drag raced.
didn't know a 4 stroke could hold a 2 stroke record.. And really no it wasn't meant to drag race.. it was designed to do desert racing.. i never said it was impossible for a ds650 to drag race..

2 strokes are all around still on top though.. cheaper to build, easier and cheaper to maintain, and tons of power with still SOME reliability

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

what? a fully piped banshee is fast? since when? lol! i don't know about you guys but when my 660r was stock i would give them a run for their money. raced them with the yfz (stock) they didn't stand a chance.. now i race them with the ktm, lets not even go there.

in my experience you should be able to beat banshees if they're not to modified. ds 650's are not slow whatsoever. once you perform surgery on a banshee though, good luck keeping up with them.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Originally Posted by Speedy2222
didn't know a 4 stroke could hold a 2 stroke record.. And really no it wasn't meant to drag race.. it was designed to do desert racing.. i never said it was impossible for a ds650 to drag race..

2 strokes are all around still on top though.. cheaper to build, easier and cheaper to maintain, and tons of power with still SOME reliability

Well now you do, and knowing is half the battle LOL. At Planet Sand, which is the standard at this point (weather anybody likes it or not) for atv drag racing, its called the Single Cylinder Classes. Which put single cylinder 4strokes against single cylinder 2strokes such as 250r, Quadzilla, etc. In the Unlimited, fastest of the fast class, the fastest time set is a 3.72 by Guy Thibideaux on his OMW DS. The fastest 2stroke time is a 3.85 which is very respectable, but no where near a 3.72. Now that is single cylinder to single cylinder, and that is also a FACT, not an opinion such as...."2 strokes are all around still on top though.. cheaper to build, easier and cheaper to maintain, and tons of power with still SOME reliability"

Now, on a twin cylinder banshee based motor, yes, it can be built to be faster/more powerful than a single cylinder 4stroke. But with twice the cylinders, and firing on twice the strokes, I would hope so.

BTW, the second fastest time is a 3.76 ran by Eric Oldham on his OMW DS (Green Goblin), and the third fastest time is a 3.80 ran by K&Ts Raptor. Which puts 3 4strokes ahead of the fastest 2stroke.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

eh..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Range Rover

Wow! I've been gone for a minute. Chicago IL, was great.
But there is nothing better then knowing that 2 DS spank
the tail end of a Raptor, and then to find out that all
three of the Big boys slap the bends into the twins,
eventhough there not your everyday $4000 dollar
upgrade. These are Big boys with Big Money, I can
only adore them from a distance. Thanks alot
" Good Sound ", your a good man I lost my confidents
for the DS a minute there. It's through you I/we the
viewers was able to stretch out a little further, Good
looking out sir.

" keep it Pushing "