CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2004 BajaX Dies when climbing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 BajaX Dies when climbing

So I was at the dunes the other day with my two DS650's and my BajaX dies when climbing (3 times, same hill, same spot - just died). I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except that I checked the oil and it was a little low. I didn't have any on hand, so I parked the machine for the day.

While checking the oil, I noticed that it was almost clear and VERY thin - almost like water (no its not water, it feels, smells, and tastes like oil). I just bought this bike used - so I do not know what oil is in it.

Does the DS have a low oil shut-off protection? Or am I totally looking in the wrong place?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody has any suggestions?

This Baja climbed smaller hills all day long, but when ridden up sand mountain it consistently died about 1/3 of the way up. I muscled the bike around to point it downhill, started it back up and rode it back to camp. I do not think it is a fuel problem, or pinched breather tube, or the quad would have died climbing other hills or running the bowls. So I am kind of stuck with an ignition problem or some kind of safety shut-off. Does a 2004 DS650 Baja even have a low oil safety shut-off? Do CDI boxes malfunction in this manner? I thought they either worked or didn't.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

Check the level of the floats in the float bowl.

OMR

Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

I will check float level, should have thought of that - thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it re-start after it dies easily ? or does it take a little work to fire it up ?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, it starts back up fairly easily. However, by the time I try to restart the bike I have tugged the front end downhill ready for flight back to camp.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once had a weed seed floating in the bowl and same thing going up the hill same spot would sputter and die ,but u said it just quit . no sputter nothing like that at all ?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

It was kind of like it was turned off from high RPM's to nothing which is why I thought ignition or safety feature, because there was little sputtering. However, if there is an obstruction in the bowl that is blocking the main jet, it would probably shut down pretty quick. Or if the gas flow got shut down in the fuel line or in the needle&seat then it would probably stop pretty quick in a hard climb.

I think the logical place to look first is the fuel system. But I still think I am going to do a full oil change just to make sure that the correct oil is in there. In the correct amount.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS does not have a sensor for the amount of oil in it. It does have a sensor for oil pressure which lights up the red light on the dash but won't shut the bike down.

Still really seems like a tank vent problem. Can you feel the problem starting to happen ? If so try cracking the gas cap loose when the problem is starting.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I just wanted to know if the bike would shut itself down for oil pressure. I think I am going to change the oil anyway just so I know what type is in there and that it contains the correct amount.

I have dealt with tank vent problems before. I think I will just install a cap vent and see if that takes care of it. I have a dunes trip this weekend, so I will try it out and let you all know what happens.

Last edited by DuoDS; 03-15-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: More Information

Quick Reply: 2004 BajaX Dies when climbing