CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

adding brakes to outlander 1000

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to say one more thing in this post. After my last ride, as I was backing the Outlander 1000 into its slot in the garage, right between the YFZ 450 and the DS 450, I couldn't help but think that I was glad I had taken the Outlander 1000 for the ride that day. I could have taken a good sport ATV that many would consider more suited to the race course we rode, but the Outlander 1000 in my opinion was every bit as much fun. The Outlander 1000 is the only ATV I have ridden with such outrageous power. The power changes everything. It can be ridden like a sport quad if you want, but can still do the four wheel drive terrain if needed. The single lever brakes are an annoyance, but you get used to them. And even with a single lever the brakes are good and strong, just a moderate tug at the lever can lock up all four tires if needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DesertViper
I'd like to say one more thing in this post. After my last ride, as I was backing the Outlander 1000 into its slot in the garage, right between the YFZ 450 and the DS 450, I couldn't help but think that I was glad I had taken the Outlander 1000 for the ride that day. I could have taken a good sport ATV that many would consider more suited to the race course we rode, but the Outlander 1000 in my opinion was every bit as much fun. The Outlander 1000 is the only ATV I have ridden with such outrageous power. The power changes everything. It can be ridden like a sport quad if you want, but can still do the four wheel drive terrain if needed. The single lever brakes are an annoyance, but you get used to them. And even with a single lever the brakes are good and strong, just a moderate tug at the lever can lock up all four tires if needed.

DV, do you know how to post videos on Youtube? I'd love to see that Outtie in the good old red dirt down there! Most of the vids of the Outtie on Youtube now are of it getting drowned in a mud pool or of guys racing around a tailings pile. Neither of which really show the bike in places I'd ever take it!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a youtube account, and posted some videos there in the past. But when youtube was bought out (I believe by google), I needed to log in from scratch. I can't log in because it wont accept my user name and password. And I can't create a new account because it says my email address is already in use. So for the forseeable future I wont be posting any videos on youtube. I need to become more computer savy before that.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, here is a video of me climbing a little sand hill in UT. You've probably heard of it, it is called Sand Mountain. I was doing a review of Skat Trak paddle tires for another website. I had to climb this hill several times. We tried it with the stock tires on, and only made it 1/4 of the way up. Then we tried it with paddles on the back and smooth buffs on the front, and made it 1/2 of the way up. Then we tried it with paddles on all four, and made it over the top. The ATV was a 2009 Renegade 800 with a Ron Wood pipe as the only mod. It was interesting filming this particular video, because my son followed me to the top of the hill with his dirt bike, then I gave him a ride part way back down on the Renegade, and stopped and let him off to do the video filming. Try stopping coming down this hill with a passenger on your ATV. Good thing I knew how to use the brakes, LOL. Then I climbed the hill for the video, then came back down and stopped again to pick up my son, and give him a ride to the bottom. Then we had to find another way up the mountain that I could do with a passenger, to get him back to his bike. It was quite a lengthy process for a 44 second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnUjY0kib_I

Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That is one scary steep sandhill, DesertViper! I imagine there have been more than a few end over end rollovers???

Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, that hill is steep. You have to hold the throttle wide open for the entire climb, and it certainly feels like the ATV would loop out, right over backwards, if the tires ever fully hooked up.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DesertViper
I find the Outlander to be very responsive and the single brakes do not bother me like they used too. Like anything else, you will get used to it.