CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

jetting questions??? (another thread) :( ...lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jetting questions??? (another thread) :( ...lol

So as i had stated in another thread, i recently purchased an 01'ds650. i have not ridden it too much because 1. clutch is slipping bad and new clutch is on the way... 2. with the mods on it i am unsure of the carb jetting and the previous owner didn't know much about if it was jetted as he bought it with the mods currently installed except, no airbox(he deleted) and he didn't jet for it but said it felt ALOT better... so the mods include trinity stg4 full exhaust, k&n directly mounted to the carb (no airbox) w/ outerwear cover, and a ron woods rev box.. it seems to run strong and fine but i want to tear the carb down do a full carb clean, and check the size of the main jet..
so onto my questions:

beyond water getting in the filter is it ok to run right off the carb??

what size carb do these run??? i know its a mukini..

is the stock size main jet a 165???

with the mods at hand should i be around a 180-190 main jet???

is the stock needle on the third clip??? and if i were to get the DJ kit with the needle should i still use the fourth clip down as has been mentioned or even with the stock needle???

do you do plug chops the same way as a 2 stroke?? as get it to operation temps, throw a new plug in and run it through all the gears, shut it off at the top, pull the plug, cut the threads and porcelin should be mocha brown????

sorry for all the questions but i will be tackling the carb this weekend and want be to well educated... i have jetted plenty of 2 strokes but never a four stroke...

thanks for your time!!!

edit: also when blipping the throttle when first pulling out i get the slight sound of a backfire through the carb.. what would cause this??? intake being on the carb?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What elevation are you at, or ride at?
I only have a BG slip on and cdi, KN air filter and Im at 2200 ft. I used a 190 main jet and needle is on 4th groove.

Im pretty sure the carb is a 42mm, and I think you're right on stock main being a 165.