CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

800 outlander won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 outlander won't start

I have fully charged battery and when I try and start it it turns over twice than clicking noise and if you look at display it reboots. I then put in different fully charged battery (maybe newer) and this time barely starts, i leave it run for 20min than shut off and try and start 10 min later and get the exact same thing of not starting. I took to dealer last year because it won't hold a charge and would have to charge battery after 3-4 days. Dealer said it was because new winch I put in was not wired properly. So when i got it back it did the same thing after them rewiring winch changing regulator and few other things($1000.00 bill). So when I got it backit would do the same thing, I would even disconnect the connections from winch and still would not hold charge. So just kept charging it for whenever I would use it and then stored it over winter and now getting the above problems. I would like to figure problem out myself from some experts here instead of them trying to figure it out for another hefty bill.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No Can-Am guy by any means,but have you checked charging back to the battery while it's idling? It should be charging at least 14 volts to keep the battery up. A simple load test on a battery can tell it it will hold a charge or a new one is needed.Plus a battery maintainer (if all else checks out ok) is almost mandatory now since batteries can loose up to of 1% of their charge a day when not used regularly. Sitting up in cold or hot weather just sucks the life out of them.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do I charge back to the battery?
Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Redster
How do I charge back to the battery?
Thanks
The regulator rectifier does that while the engine is running. Just use a simple volt meter to eliminate charging as a problem on the battery. If it's charging,then just could be you need a new battery.just have the battery load tested at any auto store. Just because you can charge a battery on a charger up to 12+ volts doesn't mean the battery is always good. It may show adequate voltage,but a dead/sulfated cell may keep it from having enough amperage to start an engine or maintain the charge for a length of time.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks will give a try when I get back to town