CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2004 Outlander 400 Runs Really Rough

Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Outlander 400 Runs Really Rough

Hello everyone.

Any and all help is greatly apprecaited.

I have a 2004 Outlander 400 which I cannot get to run right. Bike had been stood for a few years before I decided to get it out and running right for the winter. Got a new battery and some fresh fuel in her but when I tried to start her up she would not run.

Pulled the carb. It was'nt in bad condition but I gave it a thorough clean to remove any old fue and dirt. Put it back on the bike and she would only run with the choke on and there was fuel coming out of the overflow pipe.

To save messing around I ordered a carb rebuild kit. Got this all fitted and the pilot screw set to what the service manaul suggests, went to fire her up and it would idle perfectly but as soon as you even touch the throttle it would bog and die.

Doing some research it all seemed to suggest that there could still be a blockage somewhere. Luckily I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner at work so I gave it another good clean with this and it now looks nearly new.

Put it back on the bike and found a slightly improved situation. Bike will idle great but applying throttle it will splutter horribly and die as you let off.

I have tried changing the pilot screw setting but this does not really change how it reacts. I have tried running with or without the air box and again still no change. Brand new spark plug fitted, no change. Have checked for an air leakage around the rubber connector but shows no signs.

When it splutters I notice that the slide is jumping up and down eratically and a mist of fuel spits back out towards the air box. I cannot see any holes in the diaphragm

I have another Honda quad which I was also getting ready for winter at the same time. I dropped the carb from this onto the Outty and it runs like a dream so I understand this to show I have'nt got a problem with an air leak or a bent valve.

Any idea's what to look at next?

I have a video but I am struggling to upload this at the minute.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks