CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 or a Raptor??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ahving a hard time deciding between a Raptor or a DS 650. From what I have read, it sounds as if the Raptor has some problems with bent axles and blowing off carbs.(What kind of machine blows off its carbs?) I live in Idaho and do alot of fire road riding and some intermediate trail riding. I am wondering if anyone else uses a DS 650 to trail ride and what they think of the machine.

Old 05-06-2001, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

i have the ds 650 and i like it a lot. I live in Idaho, but i've only been using it for sand so far. The ds 650 is a much better machine overall from what i've had from experience and heard from people who own raptors. the ds doesn't need any improvements unlike the raptor either, so if i were you the ds 650 would be the better choice.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I think both quads have pluses and minuses, some of which they share. They are both fast, powerful, with too tall a first gear for rough trail riding. The Raptor has glitches, like axle and intake problems, The DS needs upper A-arms to correct the steering geometry. The DS is heavier, bigger, and more solid, maybe more reliable. The Raptor is lighter, and has reverse,
which cannot be purchased as aftermarket. The DS has been out longer, and has had few problems.
The Raptor has a legion of loyal riders, some have had problems, like tranny and carbs and axles, some have had few to no problems.
We are getting a Raptor soon, it was promised to us in April. It is a nimble, smaller quad than the DS. Both have great hop-up potential.
My son wants to "catch air". Raptor. I want to scream down sandwashes. DS. Raptors can use A-arms and axles to equal the DS size. But you can't add reverse and lighten the DS by 60 lbs.
My DS came with crappy front shocks, RydeFX.
I replaced them with Works steelers, huge improvement. Lots of guys love the DS stock suspension. I think we got different shocks, my DS is only a month old. I have it dialed in real nice, it is a joy to ride, but on rough stuff the Sportsman will still clean its clock.
We are anxiously awaiting the new Yamaha 660
4x4,6-speed,IRS which some say is the new Wolverine(Spy Photo,June Dirtwheels) For rough trail riding this rig, if it lives up to our expectations, will beat everything on the trails, both in speed and comfort.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I think both quads have pluses and minuses, some of which they share. They are both fast, powerful, with too tall a first gear for rough trail riding. The Raptor has glitches, like axle and intake problems, The DS needs upper A-arms to correct the steering geometry. The DS is heavier, bigger, and more solid, maybe more reliable. The Raptor is lighter, and has reverse,
which cannot be purchased as aftermarket. The DS has been out longer, and has had few problems.
The Raptor has a legion of loyal riders, some have had problems, like tranny and carbs and axles, some have had few to no problems.
We are getting a Raptor soon, it was promised to us in April. It is a nimble, smaller quad than the DS. Both have great hop-up potential.
My son wants to "catch air". Raptor. I want to scream down sandwashes. DS. Raptors can use A-arms and axles to equal the DS size. But you can't add reverse and lighten the DS by 60 lbs.
My DS came with crappy front shocks, RydeFX.
I replaced them with Works steelers, huge improvement. Lots of guys love the DS stock suspension. I think we got different shocks, my DS is only a month old. I have it dialed in real nice, it is a joy to ride, but on rough stuff the Sportsman will still clean its clock.
We are anxiously awaiting the new Yamaha 660
4x4,6-speed,IRS which some say is the new Wolverine(Spy Photo,June Dirtwheels) For rough trail riding this rig, if it lives up to our expectations, will beat everything on the trails, both in speed and comfort.

Old 05-06-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

All I got to say is, I loves me some DS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!