CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Hauler problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 08:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody run haulers sand paddles on a DS? Have you had any problems breaking paddles off? I want a set but a buddy with a DS called Scat Trak and they said to forget about the haulers on the DS. I guy from Scat Trak has a DS he had haulers on it and went 2 miles down the sand highway. He broke off 4 paddles, he said the DS is too heavy for haulers. Any body have problems? I want Haulers not V-paddles! Also what size are you running/recommend? BTW I have a Woods stage I kit on my DS. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2001, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

That's the first time I heard that about the Haulers....are you sure they didn't call Sand Tires Unlimited as I am sure that's what they would like you to hear since they make Sand Skates. There are lots of DS650's out there running Haulers including me and have not had a problem. I was running 12 paddle 20x11x9's (which I need to sell by the way)until I got the ITP Magnum Sand Tire kit with 8 paddle Haulers, haven't got those in the sand yet though. I am no tire expert but I know that Skat Trak makes lots of larger tires for buggies and I would bet the process for installing the paddles is the same, most of the buggies I have seen are a lot heavier than a DS. Now if you insist on riding lots of pavement or hard surfaces and can't keep control of the throttle you are bound to rip some off.

Haulers are not the only straight paddles by the way....Cheng Shin makes a Dune Hopper and GBC makes a Sand Devil. I believe you will be more limited on size and number of paddles with these other brands though.

As for number of paddles thats a good question. I think it's a matter of preference as much as anything, the more people you ask the more different answers you get. I thought the 12 paddles were too many for what was at the time a stock DS...now with the mods I've done and have planned maybe not.

Old 05-13-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have the contact info for the individual from Scat-Trac that said that. I just got a set 22-11-10, 10 paddle haulers, and haven't used them yet. I have a magazine review coming up and would not want my tires to fall apart during the test. If Scat-Trac knows of a problem, it would be nice if they would help resolve it rather than pull a "Firestone" on us. Any help would be appreciated since the test is in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Old 05-13-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

When I first got my DS I talked to Skat Trak to and they didn't recomend Haulers, only Edges, but nobody ever said anything about paddle problems there concern seemed to be flotation. Seems like a lot of guy are runing Haulers on Bombers and I picked up a used set myself to try, so if you call them knutz please post back here with the results. they used haulers on the Graydon DS650 that dirt wheels tested

Old 05-13-2001, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

I didn't call myself but my buddy did. I'm sure he called the manufactor of the haulers. I will call him to find out more info. I would think the haulers would be the hot setup too.

Old 05-13-2001, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same tire and never had any problems with them,haulers 22-10-11-10paddle are the only ones that skat-trac recomend for the ds,they told me nothing less than ten paddle or else you take a chance of ripping the paddles off. Im not running near the motor you are but i think they will work out great for you! THEY HOOK GOOOOOD!!!

Old 05-14-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

I do know one thing, if I have problems with the Haulers, and it hinders the results of the review of the 760, I'll try to make sure that Dirt Wheels states that in the article.

I had 2 Firestone tires come apart on the Ford Explorer that I had, I'm not ready for another tire company to hide a problem from me.

Old 05-14-2001, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the best thing you can do is get the tires on the bike and tested before the article. I would think if you really hammer the paddles in the sand, and they hold up, they ought to do OK in an official magazine test.

Old 05-14-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I,ve been ridding 8-paddle haulers for over a year and have not had any problems - I'm cautious on them however, because I have a buddy that destroyed a set (also on a DS)in just a coupla weekends. He blast over rocky areas and just thrashes them -he's an idiot! The only time I open it up with the haulers on is in pure sand- they do hook up great!

Old 05-14-2001, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I am running the 22x11x10 10 paddles,have run the heck out of them,and no problems yet.I have run them from 4 lbs to 8 lbs of air with no sign of any paddles coming loose,i dont dont run them off the sand or roost thru rocky areas though

my 2 cents
Jeff

2000 ds650
Woods stage 2
Team-Pami 760 on order

Quick Reply: Hauler problems?