CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DO YOU REALLY LIKE IT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO YOU GUYS LIKE YOUR DS ,ARE YOU SATISFIED WHIT IT OR DO YOU THINK YOU MADE A MISTAKE

PLEASE BE HONEST...

2000 DS
ALBA PIPE,SILENCER,JET
SUPERTRAPP SPARK ARRESTER
K&N AIR FILTER,PREFILTER

Old 05-29-2001, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

There are pluses and minuses for both quads. I felt more comfortable with the Raptor the first time I sat on it. I fell in love with the suspension and the power sliding of the DS the first time I rode it. Both quads were/are stock. I also paid 1100$ less for my DS than I did for the Raptor.

Yes I'm happy with it.

Old 05-29-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Absolutely satisfied!!! No quad is perfect, and I don't claim the DS to be, but I feel that this is the perfect quad for me. I'm a slightly large guy, so the extra weight doesn't bother me. I know that with this weight comes reliability. The suspension is better than any other quad I've ridden [stock that is]. The power was really nice in stock form, now it's increadable. I'm able to do anything from rocky trail rides to flat out dune shooting and enjoy both on this quad. If it could be lighter and have reverse, that would be nice, but I wouldn't want to give up anything to get those features. I thought that I would be jealous of Raptor owners when it first came out, but seeing the problems that it has[first hand] just makes me feel better about what I chose.

Old 05-29-2001, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

Love mine! I know I didn't make a mistake.

Old 05-29-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

My first big ride on the DS was a huge dissapointment. The front shocks were too stiff and beat me up real good. The lack of caster in the front end geometry made for horrible handling especially in the sand. King of the Dunes was The Emperor's New Clothes. I was ready to sell it after the first ride. I could not keep up with Polaris Sportsman and EXP on the rough mountain trails and mining roads, despite the huge horsepower advantage.
SO I started throwing parts at it. TimmyBoy upper A-arms and Works Steeler front shocks and XCT tires. That's what it took to tame the beast.
That's a grand right there. Well spent. I now have power, handling and suspension. I do really like it, now. I still wish it had a six-speed gearbox with a low first gear for rough spots, and I would love reverse and independent rear suspension. Four wheel drive is the least of my concerns, but that could be nice.
The DS shares the carport with a new Raptor and a Sportsman H.O.
The Raptor does everything a sport quad is supposed to do, very well. The DS does not wheelie, whoop, jump or fly as well as the Raptor,
But I don't wheelie, whoop, jump or fly very well either. The DS is big, fast and more comfortable for me, especially powersliding down the narrow sandwashes we have out here, but the Raptor is no slouch. The DS is more of a desert racer than a motocrosser. The Raptor may be the better all-around sport quad. The Raptor would need A-arms, shocks, swingarm, axle, XCT's etc for my tastes.
That's over 2 grand. But the Raptor's reverse and 60 lb weight advantage are not available as accessories for the DS. The DS has quality and style, the Raptor seems cheap in comparison, and reliability problems could haunt the Raptor, I hope not. I think the DS is rock solid, and a little extra weight is the price you pay for the size and strength.
My son went fishing today, there is no question that he likes his Raptor much better than my DS. So what does he take fishing? The Sportsman of course. The H.O. is no rocket, but the suspension, ground clearance, ride are unbeatable, and no DS can keep up in the rough stuff, despite a 240 lb weight advantage.
I still don't understand why they can't build a quad that can do everything well. Maybe the new Yamaha 4x4 will come closer. If it falls between the DS and the H.O. which one would I sell? That would be a tough call. The H.O. is a great loaner and it actually does some work around here.

Old 05-30-2001, 04:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I absolutly love my DS650. A long time ago, in this forum about two - three software revisions ago, there was a thread about thei idea ATV. The DS650 was almost exactly what I described. I couldn't be happier.

Old 05-30-2001, 07:41 AM
Trailblazer

I am very, very happy with it. Fast as hell and never had a problem.

Old 05-30-2001, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

in one word YES [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ya I really really really really really really like it!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
That said it did take me a little while to get to this point, I never owned a "wide" quad before and setting up the suspension took a little while, but now after a year I know this will be my quad till I retire from quads,unless they came out with a lighter DS650 with reverse.......

Old 05-30-2001, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

The DS is my first quad (lots of snowmobiles before and it finally took two low snow winters to convert). Tried a HO - great ride and lots of utility capability but if I rode it more than 5/10's it fell on its face (that's not really it's forte anyway). Didn't consider the Raptor or 400EX (I'm 6'6", 225 lbs)as they were just too small. Finally bought the DS without even riding it and have to say I wasn't thrilled at first. I have slowly gotten used to it over 3 months and have tweaked and tuned the shocks and spring rates to my liking (balanced the front end by using a bathroom scale - amazing how much the weight bias was out by just eyeballing the spring preload), have set my toe in to near zero which got rid of some of the twitchiness and did some home mods on the exhaust cap which resulted in the biggest performance gains I have ever experienced in my life for so little effort and $$. Will be putting on Pure Sports tires next 23" and 22". I have since grown to love this big monster - power sliding and jumping and killing everything else for power (my neighbours stage 3 banshee being an exception - and then he has to row that shift lever for all its worth!). Use it for plonking around (could use a low low first)at 1/10 pace or going banzai. Haven't had one bit of trouble. Starts every time, 20 below to 80 above and ticks like a clock. It seems to me that a lot of riders share my sentiments - that is, weren't crazy about it at first and then slowly get to a stage were you wonder why you would have ever bought anything else. Not for everybody (stay away from narrow trails) but it's great for me! And I'm not a brand loyalist (yeah I know Bombardier makes Ski-Doo but I had more Cats and Polaris's and even Yammies than I did Ski-Doo's).