CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 05:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those of you that have alot of expierence in the sand, what are a couple of the best sand tires you have had on the DS. Going to Silver Lake in a few weeks and dont want to be without paddles this time.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

Unless you're completely devoted to drags, I'd recommend the 10 Edge by Scat Track. I had them before my pipe and K&N and they seemed to bog the engine a little, especially during second gear take-offs. Now with the mods though, second gear starts are a breeze and I actually have to back off the throttle a little to keep the front on the ground. So the paddles hook up really well for me. Also, slides on these paddles are very controlable and turning isn't a problem. If your going to leave your DS stock then I'd probably go with an 8 paddle to get the extra float.

Old 06-22-2001, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I wolud go with Sand Tires Unlimited Padla Brat I have the stagger cut on mine and they have great traction and ride STU tires

Old 06-25-2001, 03:42 AM
Trailblazer

Come on. Theres moe of you that ride in the sand. What are the top two or three tires out there. I leave in less than 3 weeks.

Old 06-25-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

22" Tall 9 or 10 paddle V or straight seems to do the trick for me

Old 06-25-2001, 05:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DS650 rims and paddle tires can be out of stock. I would start searching for them in stock and order ASAP. Don't buy a 10" wide tire, it will dig, go with an 11" width. 20" scat-traks are more like 18", so I'd go with 22" scat-traks.

Old 06-25-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Skat-Trak doesen't recomend haulers for the DS, only there V paddle "edge" 22" 9 or 10 paddles, Sand Tire Unlimited also makes two V paddles the Sand Skate 1 and 2, Skate1 is taller but has shorter paddles, good play tire slides very nice, haven't tryed Skate2 on the DS but I've heard some say they dig holes with the 20" tires, The paddle brat and Skate1 both need a 10" wide rim and a minimum of 4 PSI or the paddle can lay back under power

Old 06-25-2001, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Okay I'm going to Pismo in a couple of weeks, How are my XCT's 22"&23" going to do? This is a one time trip, I've never ridden in dunes before and really DON'T want to buy paddles for just this one occasion. I'd rent them. Plus the Raptor has its' stock, what are they, Dunlop radials? Are we just going to dig ourselves a big hole?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

fourlix, I managed to forget my paddles one trip to Walden last year, droped the aip to 2 PSI in the rear kendas and still managed to have fun, wouldn't try the bigger hills but made a lot of them that I could get a run at, the raptor will have a lot less trouble with the radials and less weight, I probably wouldn,t worry about it but the XCT's have a stiffer sidewall, they may not do as well as the radials or the soft kendas, RMATV has GBC and cheng shin paddles on .125 rims for $145-$160, never heard of any body renting paddle tires. but I've never riden pismo before and if the sand is fairly damp you might hook up ok, jeffinrivercity was just up there riding you might email him

Old 06-26-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix,if you dont plan on going to the dunes alot,just airing down your stock tires will probably do,the hills there are real mild.If you were going to dumont or glamis I would reccomend paddles for sure.I ran straight paddles at pismo,I would have been better off with a V type there.It wont be as much fun without paddles,Actually I would worry more about digging holes in the vehicle you drive out there,seen alot of poele get stuck.....I was one of them ......for a little while
Jeff

Quick Reply: Sand tires?