CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Warning about 40 below

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the local race parts supply checking out 40 below and the counterman tells me that if you just add it to the regular 50/50 anti-freeze it will cause the coolant to coagulate, anybody got any other info about this? I'll try call ing them next week about this

Old 07-07-2001, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I says right on the can to drain your system, ( I don't think it said flush) put the 40 below in and add water. Do not mix with other anti-freezes or coolants.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thats right, but the direcions are for a car or truck motor, my understanding from the directions and discussion with the counterman, drain the radiator but not the block, add the contents of the can and top up with water. Draining the DS's coolant is of coures done at the water pump, if your running no anti-freeze dose this product offer any freeze up protection?, I don't think so but I check next week, also I wanted to get this info out as I think I saw a post from someone saying that they just put a small quantity in with there anti-freeze and were running it that way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2001, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Old 07-07-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like 40Below is out but this stuff is made for motocycles Engine Ice and if you use one of the oil additive from Pro-Blend you should have the coolest ATV around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for that great link 92LT, CALDS650 I think I'm with you, Engine Ice in the radiator and Engine Cool in the motor (I'll email them today and check if Engine Cool has friction modifyers in it as we know they are no good for the clutch)
Edit Cycle logic recomends changeing Engine Ice every 40 hours of operation (race conditions?) my local bike shop, Preformace Cycle will match Cycle Logic's on line price on both singles and cases, double coolLOL

Old 07-08-2001, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

If im using 40 below, what your saying is that I am supposed drain the coolant at the pump, but then how much 40 below and water do i add in a mixture to the radiator. Thanks

Old 07-08-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

The url that 92LT posted is here as a link, they list several different applications and methods of installation. In most applications there is very little anti-freeze in the system and 40 below offers no anti-freeze protection itself. I live in Denver and will be going out to the dunes during the winter months so I don't want to have to mess with draining and refilling the cooling system to avoid freeze up so I'm going to use Engine Ice because it offers anti-freeze protection to -54, heres a link to Cycle Logic's add for Engine Ice. But if you want to run 40 Below follow the directions at cool-tech and just mix it on a percentage basis, the cooling system of the DS hold .58 gal of coolant (from manuel) thoses directions are for a 3.5-4 gal cooling system

Old 07-08-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I just put that damn 40 below in 4 days ago!
I should have reasd up on it more I guess.
No freeze protection stinks. Maybe I will try & use the engine ice instead after I flush all the old out. As cold as it gets in Ohio sometimes even if I just let the DS sit in winter it could freeze & cause problems. I wish it just would run cooler from the factory.

Anyone using the engine ice?
Does the DS just take regular antifreeze like a car? As far as I know it is right?

Old 07-08-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

anyone ever heard of SUPER COOL ?if so has anyone used it and how well does it work?

Quick Reply: Warning about 40 below