CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS frame???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were could I get a DS frame and how about much would it cost?
Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-21-2001, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

You gotta find somebody with a DS that wants to go with a full blown race frame. They are going to spend about $6 grand+ to do that, so they are going to want $2 grand for a DS chassis in good shape. More or less. And depending on what goes with it. Hubs? Shocks? A-arms? axle? carrier? Plastic? Radiator? You're going to need a DS just to fill out the parts list....
........Mudmunster is of dubious credibility here, but brings up an interesting notion,,,, a full race DS... The motor has lots of potential, but we all know it's a little too heavy for competitive MX. A lighter frame,,,some trick parts,,,An under 400 lb. DS could be done,,, albeit at a great cost.... could be fun..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I know the TimmyBoy upper A-arms weigh about half of the stockers,,,If the whole frame is one thing that would save a lot of weight,, it could be revitalizing...I wonder how much a stock DS frame weighs? and how much does a Lonestar frame weigh?

Old 08-22-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Shhhh! Don't get other people started on this. I'm looking at building a custom chassis for the DS. The goal is to lighten it up and adjust the geometry a little. I have a few other projects in line befor this though. I already have 2 companies working on lighter and stronger swing arms, the a-arms are already on the market and with a lighter chassis I think I can get a DS 650 within 30 pounds of a race ready 400EX. Combine that with one of my 70HP motors and nothing will be able to touch it.

Old 08-22-2001, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

I won't tell, really I won't, but just about the time I usually trade up, (and where do I go after a DS?) I could be ready for a new chassis. Actually, I'm a pretty good welder myself, 30 years experience, with a great shop. Building my own frame is something that I think would be a lot of fun. (remember me? I'm a Junkyard Warrior, forever immortalized in cable TV re-runs) I have experience with thin wall Chrome-moly, MIG and Oxy-Acetylene, (But I suck at aluminum). More than one frame could be a drag, especially if the first one sucked!! Collaboration could be interesting, and I am almost always ready for a quick drive up to Vegas, 550 miles from here.
Besides an overall suspension lowering, I think the engine could sit lower in the frame. I also think that rear engine mount could be better designed and a bunch of weight could be removed in the front "pod". I would also consider building an I.R.S. frame for a Desert Racer. My new Grizzly has some nice lightweight components like hubs and a-arms which could be had off the shelf. Mark LoScerbo from Strong Arm has a thing for I.R.S. too. The I.R.S. would probably offset any weight savings from a chrome moly frame, but I am astounded by the weight of the stock upper A-arms, which is the only bare frame part I have handled. If the whole frame is like that, there is a bunch of weight to be saved.
I assume motors are available? I would not want to cannibalize
my DS, even though I would use it as a model and probably to set up a frame jig. Or, for what DS's are going for these days it might be cheaper to just pick one up for parts.
Hey, Knutz, can I come visit anyway? I'd kinda like to come up around my birthday in October anyway, I could finally pick up that rev limiter, and we could yak a little about frames. Vegas in October might be real nice for a ride too, I could bring my near stocker and you could talk me into buying some hot rod parts, after you smoke me so bad I can't stand it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I'd love to meet up with you for a ride and talk. I might not have to talk you into anything, just let you ride the 760. Let me know when your coming. I can even get your autograph too[lol, J/K] since your a famous TV star. I've seen your episode a couple of times now. I'm in the procces of re-biulding the bike for another magazine feature, so give me some warning so I can ensure it's together when your here.

Old 08-23-2001, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

knutz if you ever need test riders i'm always willing to help out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2001, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

Knutz, when's the reveiw of your DS supposed to come out in DW?

Old 08-24-2001, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Juggalo, 2 problems with you test riding-

1] Your half way across the country.

2] You don't ride a DS[at least by reading your profile], so you wouldn't have the basis for compairison that many of my closer test riders do. Besides, I enjoy doing my own test riding.

DSKurt-The review will be in the November issue of Dirt Wheels. And, believe it or not, I was told last Friday, that my DS actually got the featured cover pic. I can't wait to see the pics and read what they have to say, I haven't been told anything about the article but the fact that "I'll like it".

Old 08-24-2001, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

ok [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2001, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Hey I think I just found a wrecked Raptor for my IRS Desert Racer. It's really totaled. It went down a hill the wrong way, cartwheel style. Shipping is the only difficult part of this. Minnesota to New Mexico must be at least 2,000 miles. The guy is getting a new one, insurance, maybe he can use the packing from his new one. Anyway, the raptor is a good candidate for this project, it has reverse. I'll copy the front of the frame, add TimmyBoy A-arms.
I think the chain driven differential from a Polaris Magnum 425 might work for a rear end. Grizzly rear hubs and A-arms. Probably take a year to finish. Should be about 50" wide front and rear. Longer wheelbase, XCT's, TCS shocks all around. Keeping the weight down will be the challenge. Even with a lowered chassis it will have more ground clearance than a stocker because NO SOLID REAR AXLE!!
Gotta keep it around 400 lbs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] This is too cool...

Quick Reply: DS frame???