CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

a new DS minus the motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 02:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking for a project for the winter. With the prices of new DS reported to be going around 5000 new, the thought has entered my mind to buy a new one and pull the motor out and stuff another one in its place. What do you think will fit? What would a brand new ds enjine bring? This quad would only be ridden on smooth trails and a flatrack on my property, with many trips to the dragstip. I also ride on a 15mile stretch of blacktop farm road. Throw in a trip or two to the dunes every year.

I am not to concerned with the weight as no jumping. I have a raptor that runs 75.6 with the 12 thooth front sprocket and 81.6 with the 13. The raptor gets to be a handful around 75.That is not fast enough. We went 1/8 mile dragging and my best time was 9.02.

I do not want to mod the ds engine, i feel i can do better with a different engine. From what i have read on here and the mags, team pammi, ron woods to much money for the gains. That is not a crtical statement to knutz. I wish the raptor forum had somebody like him to guide us along.

Can it be DONE? Can the front end be cured of twitchy habits at high speed? Break out the cutting torch fourlix.

Old 10-20-2001, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

With the size of the frame, I'm guessing that any snowmobile or 4 cylinder motorcycle engine would fit in there rather easily. Easier than in a Banshee, LT, or anything else.

I'm not offended by you doing this, I know that these engines can out perform mine. But they do take alot of custom engineering and limit the uses of the quad once it's done. I wish you the best of luck on it.

With new a-arms that lay back the castor, it is stable enough to run with. I added 3 degrees of castor, and felt moderately stable at 96 MPH on asphalt. I could have added more castor and been even more stable.

The insurance company offered Biggy his quad back for $3000 with front end damage, so I guess the motor by itself is worth between $1000-$1500.

Old 10-21-2001, 01:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Knutz- thanks for the info. I realize i am limiting my uses for the quad but that i okay. My way of thinking is 5000 for the quad, try to sell the engine for 1500 to 2000, pick up a snowmobile engine for 1500 or so or a motorcycle engine and basicly be done for a price of a new ds. I had thought of buying a blown of warrior, mojhave etc., but if i could get 1500 or more for the ds motor i would have a brand new complete zero mile machine to start with. These projects start out reasonable the turn out like "rap daddy"

Knutz-have you ran any of your quads in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile.
If i was to go your route 760 etc. i would end up with a great all around quad in the 11000 dollar range, when i am looking for a 1 directional machine. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2001, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

$5000 for the quad, $4300 for the base level 760 =$9300 total. I just wanted to clear that up for any one else that may be considering one of my big motors.

I understand what your looking for, and your taking the proper route, I believe.

Be prepaired to spend some money on fitting the motor in the chassis though, it never goes as easy as planned.

Old 10-22-2001, 01:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Knutz- sorry about the pricing error in my post. I thought i saw in dirtwheels that the 760 was the price i had stated earlier. Anyway at 5000 new the ds, seems to be the best deal going. The kits seem high to me, but quaility has a price. I has not had a chance to look at ds650's since i thought of my project. I did break the news to my wife today, she took it rather well. I get another quad and she gets a cruise at christmas. Looks like this project might cost 20000 dollars after all. Do you have customers looking for engines? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

If I had the funding, I would love to buy it myself. I've lost several customers due to the lead time required for me to build a motor. It would be nice if I had several motors on hand to exchange, but that could be a huge can of worms[customers exchanging junk motors for good ones]. E-mail me your name and # when you are ready to sell the motor, and I'll keep it on hand to see if I can get rid of it for you.