CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

MX racing on the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001 | 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Jimmie you miss my point completely by jumping to the conclusion that I'm bashing your DS and I'm not. MX it if you want all I'm saying is it was designed for something else and that's why you don't see pro riders mx racing with them that's all. I ride a honda and guess what it's reliable too I don't think reliability was the issue in the first place mx racing a DS was so why get all fired up and defensive and take a shot off topic. I only gave my opinion on the topic thats all.

Old 10-26-2001 | 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

grow up jimmy, ill tell the truth , if you dont beleave it ill take a 250ex and my 270 lb *** and beat you with any ds you can find build or steal . ds's are not intended for mx . they will not last the weight of a ds can not stand the abuse caused by mx . for one there is not a axle built for it that will last! and second a all day mx race ???? wow that's a new one ? and if there was I think ied be betting on a honda ...keep a close eye on the baja 1000 this year the raptor guys have had a good time now to fine tune the quad and also the honda guys have steped to the plate with a 650ex !!!the ds is a good quad for the dunes and open trail's ,I know first hand that a ds is not going to work for mx or woods or the type of riding we do here in mn !!! If you want proof Ive got 14 recipts from my dealer in a six month time frame !!

Old 10-26-2001 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

your right biggy a ds won't last with a 270lb rider, nothing will. and now that i'm up off the floor from laughing bring your 250ex on over to the pro track at red bud and we'll race for titles, my kid needs a quad.

Old 10-26-2001 | 12:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the input. I have a lot of MX experience and just wondered how the DS would do under racing conditions. I figured it has the width for MX, and the engine also. It’s probably the only quad you can buy that doesn’t need wider a-arms and extended axle right off the bat. I also felt the engine is very capable of keeping up with just about anything on the track. Everyone needs to realize that rider weight and rider finesse contribute greatly to how any given quad holds up on the MX track. If you are a rider that slams the face of every double, triple, step-up and whoop of course it isn’t going to hold up. The weight of the DS definitely is a tad on the heavy side although I wouldn’t ad much weight to that number, I myself weigh around 175lbs in full riding gear. I have been racing 250R's since about '89 and might try something different just for fun. Right now it’s between building my own 250R chassis, the Cannondale (ouch$), and a DS. Who knows, maybe Bombardier will come out with another high performance quad that is even better suited for MX?

Old 10-26-2001 | 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Chawness, I've never hit the face of any jump, heck i never even tried for the triple at my track. The DS can't even hold up on a simple table top. By the way I'm far from 270lbs I'm 195. Biggie is right It's the weight of the Ds. The Ds would make a good dunes machine but leave It off the Mx tracks. The cannondale retail is 6995.00 and the Ds was 7195.00 when I bought mine, I know there is a few dealers selling the Ds for 5500.00 or less out the door. But now that I've rode my cannibal the Ds felt like a dog. The cannondale is so impressive that my friend I race with who has a 400ex rode the cannibal for less then five minutes and called the dealer and sent him a down payment and will be the proud new owner of a cannibal Nov 8th.

Old 03-30-2003 | 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MX racing on the DS650

I have a 2001 ds650 and I want to race all I need to do is hook up the tether cord kill switch. I understand one wire goes to the kill switch already on the ds and the other goes to the frame(ground).The Question is whitch color wire from the 4 wire cluster coming from the kill, lights,starter control on the bars or do I have it all wrong?
By the way I ride my ds any where and every where!Sand, dirt, rock, mudd,trails,hillclimbs,mx tracks. I have jumped plenty far and high, and yes, put a few dings in my rims but that is it! The ds may not be designed for mx but it will sure do the job if you are a good enough rider, cause skills do say alot!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-30-2003 | 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

The black with white strip wire

Old 03-30-2003 | 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I took mine out to the track last year because a friend, who consistantly rides mx, wanted trade in his 400ex. I never rode mx till then but noticed my suspension bottoming out and I was really landing nose down. When my friend tried he took it around a couple times and immediatly noticed the rough landings. On his last jump, the front wheels slammed into the ground and the machine flipped, throwing him way over the handlebars. Obviously, he didn't buy a DS. Since then, I've jumped some tightened up my suspension and jump some smaller jumps and it does just fine, with a few hard landings. The only problem is that I sometimes hit the low rev limiter to soon, causing me to slow down before hit get in the air. I've talked to a lot of people and rode many different ATV's (including 250R and 400ex). For the trails, the DS is the machine to have. For the track, try to lean away from Bombardier.

Old 03-30-2003 | 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

whats up with you biggy? how can you think anything will last at the track if you are 270? all summer, every day since i got rid of the blaster and got the DS i go to one of our local MX tracks and i have to say, becuase of the ***** the ds has, and the awsome suspension... its way good at the track when you get use to it... its expecialy awsome when your 6ft tall and 170. at 6ft tall the EX seems to small and the raptors arent too much bigger.

Old 03-31-2003 | 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've been in here since March of last year and don't recall anyone called, "biggie"...this is an OLD post!!! LOL...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] HEY BIGGIE YOU STILL AROUND????

Nice curve ball, ZUMNOB! Welcome to the connection...