CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

RWR Stage 1 problem...............................

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, let me set the story up. My brother and I both have DS650's, both have the EXACT same mods a RWR stage 1 kit, we both weigh the same....maybe off by a few pounds but no more that a few "1-5Lbs.", both have the same size tires. I bought my stage 1 kit from a guy in Benicia, CA, I live in Florida. His came from a guy in Ohio. Well anyway we raced today on pavement on a strip about 1000-1200 feet long 2 times and he smoked me by 4 lengths or more. Neither missed a shift all went perfect EXCEPT like I said he smoked me bad. I could ride his bike and him on mine same thing. So, the question is WHY did he beat me so bad? Do the RWR 45mm carbs come jetted from RWR for the area the original owner "buyer" was from? There is one difference between the bikes and thats tire brands. I have Holeshot XCT's and he has Maxis Razers. Anyone have any ideas on why this beating I took might have happened?

Old 12-29-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Check your clutch adjustments and your plugs.

Old 12-29-2001, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have to fine tune each 45mm carb - up or down in needle postion and main jet size. Airbox/filter setup will also impact jetting.

Woods has changed the jetting since the first shipments.

The jet needle has the most impact on acceleration assuming the main jet is about right.

Any bog off idle could also be due to pilot jet and pilot air screw.

K&N filters get dirty fast and will hurt performance if not cleaned frequently.

Old 12-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Is'nt the bog off idle a common thing with the 45mm? My brothers DS bogs just as mine. On a dead stop taking off we both were told to "roll" the throttle and not to punch it. If I just nail the throttle it will bog. Also the filter is new so thats not a problem. Where do I get main jets for this carb? I'm going to pull the plugs in a few days and see how its burning. So if its the main jet or needle adjustment its going to be a trial and error thing. BTW I stated before my brother and I have the same size tires 22 inch mine Holeshots and his Razers, upon measuring them his is about 1 1/2 inches taller than mine. Is that enough of a "gearing' change to cause him to beat me so bad? I'm sure it was a factor.

Old 12-30-2001, 02:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can get main jets at a local harley dealership that sells the HSR42/45 carb kits for Harley motorocycles. You can also order from www.sudco.com

carb manuals & parts lists www.mikuni.com

Ths bog off idle is a problem for some and minimal for others.

The main jet should be in the 155-165 range. Pilot jet 25-35 range.

I'm sure you're aware that the accelerator pump is disabled.

1 1/2 inches taller sounds like a lot for the same size tires. Slightly taller gearing will pull harder/longer in the upper gears.

FYI, this carb topic has come up many times over the past year or so, you might want to search for other threads here and at http://extremegarage.fight-backusa.c...UltraBoard.cgi

Old 12-31-2001, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

More than likely your clutch is slipping worse than his, what kind of oil do you run vs his? both of you need pami springs in your clutch anyway if your gonna be dragin like that. Did it seem like 3rd and 4th gear just weren't doing much?

Old 12-31-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Did you happen happen to over oil the air filter?

Old 12-31-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, oil he runs the Redline synthetic with RWR springs. I have stock springs with Factory oil that the Bombardier shop uses. My cluth does NOT slip, so thats out. However I do have RWR springs that are going in with the next oil change and it will have the Redline also. But my cluth does not slip. The filter in new with the K+N factory oil still on it. I think its all just the tire size, we are going to swap rear tires and take them for a run and if nothing else that will confirm or eliminate the gearing "tire size" issue. I'll update after the tire swap race.

Old 12-31-2001, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

Just a note. If have not yet purchased your rwr springs then don't. I have stage 1 and was still having slippage. I had to replace my rwr springs with pami's to make it stop slipping. And you say your clutch isn't slipping but odd's are its slipping enough to make you lose by 4 bike lengths.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have already bought the RWR clutch springs just waiting to install them on the next oil change. If I am slipping I cannot feel it.

Quick Reply: RWR Stage 1 problem...............................