CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Design Yoshimura Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been working with Yoshimura racing to develop a new slip on exhaust for the DS650 and it is finished. The new design gives good power from bottom to top and is fairly quiet showing a reading of 98 decibels with the quiet insert installed and just under 100 decibels without. This pipe really wakes up the bottom end and pulls hard on top as well, it is fully rubber mounted. Bombardier did a very good job on the stock headpipes and Yoshimura showed no gain on the bottom end with a small gain on top with larger head pipe but at the expense of some bottom end power. If you have a hill shooter you might be better off with a Ron Wood or Big Gun pipe, but for an all around quad this is a very good system and the price is reasonable.
Bearman

Old 01-18-2002, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

Bearman, Where can I get more info and maybe some dyno numbers and/or comparisons to other mufflers?

Old 01-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Why due they all ways come out with a new product justa after I buy the old one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

More info please, where can we buy it? Is it available yet?

please give us more info
Bat

Old 01-19-2002, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know dyno figures but they say a minimum ten percent improvement across the rpm range but feels like more to me. A forest ranger verified the decibels and it is not nearly as quiet as the stock muffler but 100 decibles is pretty acceptable for a race muffler. The fit and finish is very good and looks killer. If you have anymore questions or just want to rush it along call Yoshimura at 1 909 628 4722 and ask for Brad Stevens. Bearman

Old 01-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

I spoke with Yoshimura (Brad) this evening, and have a little more info......The entire assembly is constructed of stainless, with the exception of the removable end cap, which is billet aluminum. There won't be any dyno charts available, as their dyno was made for motorcycles, not ATV's, so hooking up a big quad like the DS was next to impossible. The U.S.F.S approved spark arrestor is of the "screen" type, and flows 167 cfm. The "canister" is a standard Yoshi part, with a seperate DS specific connector pipe. Retail price is $340, and they are currently in stock at the manufacturer.

Old 01-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Gottahavaraptor do you like your alba kit and do you think the yosh is going to fit on the alba pipe..

DSwolf

Old 01-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

<< Gottahavaraptor do you like your alba kit and do you think the yosh is going to fit on the alba pipe..

DSwolf
>>

Hey DSWOLF,

Actually, right now, I have the stock exhaust back on. The Alba race pipe makes very good power, but after the second ride, the ceramic coating started peeling off of the head pipes, so I swapped it back out. Alba seems to be a great company that stands behind their product (at least with me)....I contacted them about the issue, and they ended up replacing the headpipes with new units. But I am not sure if I will put it back on the bike, as it is loud, and living in Calif, I would not be surprised to see a noise restriction enacted in the desert soon. I may go with a slip on so I could put the stocker (quieter) back on easier. If I do go with a slip on, I will sell the Alba. About the Yoshi, it was designed to fit the stock head pipes, and will not hook up to any after market head pipes that I am aware of. I just posted some further info, because I was curious myself, and I live VERY close to Yoshimura, so I might go take a look.

Old 01-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Gottahavearaptor
The new slip on is a little louder than the old one but has a spark arrestor, both designs are still available so check them both out
Bearman

Old 01-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

Gottahavaraptor,
email me at matt@discover.net about selling your exhaust. I live real close to you and will pay cash.
Matt

Quick Reply: New Design Yoshimura Exhaust!