CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Knutz .....What oil am I safe to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 02:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if I could run a synthetic blend oil in my DS? Im not sure but I thought I remebered you saying something about the Honda Synthetic blends. What I was thinkin about going with was Honda HP-4 10w-40 Synthetic blend. Would that oil work with my DS with out making my stock clutch slip? THANKS

Old 03-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I know I'm NOT Knutz, he's the expert BUT I've tried many, many oils. I've tried regular oil, blends and synthetics from Bombardiers oil, Yama Lube to Redline and ect.they all slipped. The only one I use now is a pure synthetic and I have NO slipping what so ever. Its AMSOIL 4-stroke blend 0w40. Its made just for the wet clutches in 4 stroke ATV's and motor cycles.

Old 03-29-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

You should be fine with Hondaline HP-4. I ran it in my bikes for a long time, and had great results. I know the Bombardier books said that synthetics were not to be run in the bike, but Rotax and Team Pami have not problem with synthetic oil. On a stock bike, your clutch should be OK with semi-synthetic, but the clutches are prone to slipping regardless of the oil once you start to make extra power.

As far as one oil stopping clutch slippage, and no other oil being able to do this, that would scare me. Other oils are made for wet clutchs as well, and if they still allowed the clutch to slip, then there may be a problem with the clutch. If one oil magicly stops the slipping, I wonder what it's doing to the areas in the motor that the oil is suposed to help "slip", such as bearing surfaces. I based my oil recomendations on how well the inside of a motor looks after it's opened up, as well as how it seams to work while in the bike.

Old 03-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

I use Klotz techniplate 4 stroke synthetic. My dealer sold it to me when I bought the DS. I get home & read the owners manual & it says no synthetics! I called the dealer & he was was like "oh don't worry" But I still was. I emailed Klotz & they said they had done testing with the DS in particular & found it worked great. Anyway I stuck with the Klotz, so far so good....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]