CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

broken crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well guys i finally got my motor apart and it was the crank.what would be a good one to put back in and how much money.thanks.

Old 04-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

What happened to the crank? Can it be saved? I don't believe anyone makes cranks other than Rotax, and they list for $728.05. If it's just a bearing[rod/crank bearing], I can save it, if it hasn't been "blued" too badly. I have stock pins in stock, and can order the bearing, or you can purchase a new rod[with bearing] if the rod has been heated["blued"] at all.

Old 04-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

it looks like it is just the rod bearing. how much is that? the rod just moves all over the place and there was shavings all over place.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

$650 to replace the rod bearing, most of that being labor, $810 if it needs a new rod as well. I will not install a new bearing in a rod that appears to be too discolored from heat, or a new pin in a crank in the same shape. If you have the time and money, now is a good time to get a 703 or 760 kit though. If the rod is OK, the repair plus the kit ends up costing only about $50 more than the kit itself. The rod is only an additional $160 if it's bad.

I don't do this to sell more motors, but building the kit involves almost everything needed to replace the bearing, so there is almost no added labor for the bearing swap, and the bearing is rather affordable.

Old 04-02-2002, 04:55 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear about your problems, I went through that same thing a few months ago, hopefully for the last time. Go with the 703, it makes too much sense not to, since you're that deep into the engine. If I had the money, I would have gone that route.

Old 04-02-2002, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Terrible MORE rotax carnadge...what happened here?

Old 04-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Come now DS650Dave, if you ride 250R's, you know that motors blow up some times. Another shop I work with is rebuilding at least 2 250R motors a week, because they are contiuously grenading[no, not due to the way he builds them]. The difference is, when a Rotax goes away, it's talked about because it's not that common. When other motors blow up, it's no big deal because it's a common thing. I'm not doggin' any motors, just standing up for a reliable motor. Any and all motors fail sooner of later and a few motors losing bottom ends doesn't mean it's bad. I'd say that less than 1 in 10 motors that come to me are damaged, and I get alot of people chosing to send their motor to me when damaged, because it's a smart time for a build up. The other shop I work with has repaired more damaged Raptor motors than I have repaired damaged DS motors, and they don't specialize in Raptors.

I appologize if your comments were not meant as a jab at the Rotax, it seamed like they were. I'm not meaning to insinuate that any other motor is bad, but I know this Rotax is solid and well built.

Old 04-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

knutz ...no jab intended , just a question..it is TERRIBLE.. when this s--t happens!
(sorry you felt a need ,to state the obvious & tell us a story, after reading my post) .....its cool..... no apology needed here

May be cause you realize I do ride R's (old hondas) & no longer own a DS, perhaps you beleive I'm poking at the "rotax"....
I'm not ,I'm just following the bombs ..a lil ..cause one day I may find a four-stroke machine I like,.. never know ...might own a Rotax/Bombardier product again ......
Personally,..
I feel the C-dale has at alot to offer (in stock form)..& I watch /follow them too...

Old 04-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Motors don't blow-up... they just occasionally have unscheduled disassembly. Sorry to hear about the motor bummer, but when you play hard sometimes you have to pay hard. The 703 upgrade sounds like the best way to go, good luck.

Old 04-02-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

The Rotax 650 is NOT a new just invented motor. It has been used in the BMW F 650 since the early 90's and was designed by Aprilia, an Italian Motorcycle manufacture. In my opinion thats saying a lot, that a solid, high end company like BMW trusts a motor that isn't even made by them.
The reason that you are hearing more about engine probs is because more people are buying them.
It's a ratio thing, if a company makes 100 quality motors one year and the next year makes 1000 quality motors there is a higher percentage chance that you will here about more motor probs in year #2, just because there is more of them and more people own motors from year #2. You follow what I'm saying?

Also people treat things different some may beat the $hit out of there DS and not maintain it, some treat it like a there baby, and some mod the hell out of it till it shortens the life span

Bottom line people are different in the way they treat things and the more people that own something the more you hear about it (love it or hate it)

Sorry I'm venting!

Quick Reply: broken crank