CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Denton steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put one on Saturday and spent the day at the dunes Sunday. I set it on max (there are seven available adjustment clicks) and left it there the whole day.
This is the rebuildable one and was $170 with shipping which was the most expensive I've seen but not really by that much more than the others. It looks pretty sharp, all aluminum body with machined aluminum brackets.
Compared to a friends PEP new style, his is set to medium (three settings) by changing leverage point on steering bracket. His is slightly stiffer on medium than mine was on full dampen.
I never noticed a bit of steering resistance and on smooth sand and mild bumps I forgot it was on. Crossing ruts left by a small monster truck I was happy to have it and when we pulled onto some tight trails I really felt like I was on a different bike. Those trail sides always seem to grab at the front end of my DS and being so wide makes it worse. I rode alot faster with more confidence on the tight twisties.
Installation wasn't too bad but the way one of the brackets was machined it wouldn't work the way they show in the low quality photo included. Nothing major, just a machined recces for a nut on the wrong side so if you torqued it down you would break off the tiny grease zerk on a heim joint. Where do you get a little tiny grease gun? Also the end with the adjuster comes close to extending past the end of the front bumper, Not ideal but That's where it goes.
I hope it's obvious I like this stabilizer or any stabilizer on a quad. I know tire setup, rim offset and ajustable A-arms all make changes for the good on a DS or baja. I just think the stabilizer would compliment any of those improvements.
A friend rode my bike for 5 minutes and decided his polaris 400 needed a stabilzer.
As for long term, wait and see.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

I whent to thier site and i don't even see one made for the ds. Do they make one for the polaris scramblers?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Denton steering stabilizer

mystereid, you are right the picture and the instructions that come with the unit are not at all accurate.i just installed one lastnight and i had to make so adjustments i have not tried it out yet i will be going this weekend.but it sounds like you had the same problem. i hope i installed it the right way.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Denton steering stabilizer

Both myself and Joshie have the Denton's. We bought them factory direct Denton is 10 mins away. When I had a big accident I had to rebuild it and Denton had all the parts in stock. Works great on the sand for the rutted out sections, keeps the front end in check. I turn it all the way down on the trail as it tends to hamper steering. I think we paid 140.