CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

stock for stock... BAJA vs a BLAZE or MOTO 440?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody had the oportunity to be a part of, or witness such a race?

what happened?

Old 05-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don,t have a baja but i do have a 2000ds and my buddy has a fx 400 cannindale . and in top end on the street there dead even . in the dirt the cannindale always gets the hole shot .but the ds catches up by 3rd gear . so in the dirt its the luck of the draw . either way you look at it always going to be close. but the newer cans do have diffrent mapping for the fi so i would say they should be a littel faster , but the baja is also a littel faster the a reg ds . so its comes down to the rider .

just my 02.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I to have a 01'DS, mine is piped and jetted, and I am able to outrun a cannible by a couple lengths. I have also raced a Motto several times and I get beat repeatedly by 6-7 lengths.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] But theirs no REAL shame in that for me, It is a 12,000 dollar machine. Atleast thats what I keep telling myself.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch "biggerisbetter"... as far as I can tell, the only HP difference in the MOTO comes from a silencer and re-mapping the FI... you could do this on a stock Cannibal for $400???

thanks for your honesty

someone in the Cannondale forum said the Cannibal has a 1,000 rpm lower limit than the other three.. but not according the the specs on their website

Old 05-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Stock for stock (not talking piped bikes or anything else) my experience in the sand has been that a late model Cannibal will outrun a DS650 (not sure about a Baja, is the power any different?).

It's not a runaway, so an error either way can make a big difference, but if I were to get the DS out of the hole (which I did on each race), I could maintain my lead thru all 5 gears and to the end of the strip. I also got beat by a few DS's with at least pipes (not sure what else they had)

But the Blaze's and Motos will outrun a stock Cannibal by a good margin.

Also the person on the C-Dale has to know to really let that thing spin some RPM's or he's going to get beat.

BTW, I've ridden and raced some modified DS's and loved the power, so please don't label me as a biased c-dale person.... I enjoy racing on or with anything fast at the dunes, my two favorite 4 strokes for the drags are the C-dale and DS. I loved wasting the Raptors with the two DS's my friends have (even beat a drag piped Banshee multiple times). In fact, hopefully at the next dunes trip he'll have the 760 ready to lay down some serious spankings..

Old 05-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

1986atc250r have you raced any fx,s thay is the only cannindale i have race but those where the first ones out so i would think the newer ones are faster ??

Old 05-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DSAPP, its sad but true. I truly LOVE my DS, the bike was made for me, and I would not own anything else. but having said that, If I was forced to buy another quad today, it would be a Cannondale.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, haven't got to race it against a FX yet... Just Banshee's, 400EX's, Raptors, DS's, LT's, etc...

I was very pleased with the stock performance. Wasn't a modified 400EX in the at the strip while I was there that could run with it (and that's coming from a 400EX owner).

Still haven't got it quite figured out how to get the infamous C-Dale holeshot, did it once and blew everything away that run, even a modified LT500R.... Man, if I could only do it every time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Don't see too many FX's anymore, most have been updated by C-Dale... Finding a bone stock one would be even more rare.

You do really have to let the CD spin some RPMs, if you short shift at all, you will be much slower... The DS and CD engines couldn't contrast more.

Oh yeah.. Last year at Roostfest I raced a DS with a 42mm Mikuni pumper and Custom X exhaust against a Big Gun piped FX400 (at least that all he claimed to have). He came out of the hole so strong I could never catch him- however, as soon as I hit 4th on the DS, I'd start reeling him in, the strip just wasn't long enough. Same result after multiple races.

The next day we switched gearing on the DS and was pulling much better holeshots, but the FX wasn't racing - would have made for an interesting run.

Would have liked to see if I could have got him on the carb'd, piped, piston'd, and cammed DS but didn't get the opportunity to race him with it...

Old 05-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

To answer your question you can, I have moto map and hmf silencer all for $189 less actually I got 10% off from buying my quad from r&s.

Old 05-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I haven't ever raced a DS but in all the races that I've been in, I could get some good holeshots. Last race, I had to start all the way from the left side of the gate which is the crappiest place to start on the gate. Out of 24 racers, and crappy gate position, I was still able to get 5th in the holeshot against lots of highly modded R's, Shee's, Ex's, and a LT 250. In the second moto, I missed a gear and ended up w/ like 17th in the holeshot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. The Dale's have VERY good acceleration but I have heard a lot of stories about stock Raptors and DS's being right even w/ them in the sand. Maybe those Dale's holeshots aren't good in the sand because (no offense) I find it hard to believe that a stock raptor or DS could stay even w/ the Dale in any race.

Quick Reply: stock for stock... BAJA vs a BLAZE or MOTO 440?