CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

oil pressure sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that my oil pressure sensor is cracked on the top where the wire plugs into the top of the sensor.the rubber boot that covers the sensor is full of oil and i think it is forcing oil up through the sensor wiring into the big wiring harness just above the carb.a buddy and i have look the whole bike over and this is the only place we can find oil anywhere.is it possible that the oil sensor is cracked at the place where the wire plugs in and the oil is being forced up yhrough the wiring?help!ive never heard of this happening before.also,how much for a new oil sensor?

Old 05-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Its very possable for the sensor to crack and leak, seen it many times during my career as a mechanic. Bomb has had their problems with the sensor, I had mine changed under warranty and every now-and-then the the new switch screws up. When I have some time I plan to source an after market switch to replace it. I'll post the results here when I do.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just for future reference guys. On my last DS the oil sending unit went bac=d and Bombardier backordered it so I just went to auto zone and bought one to fit a chevy 350 and it went right in and worked fine In fact I think it was better than the Bomby unit so I just left it in there with no problems. And that thing cost like 3 bucks just a fraction of the Bombardier unit. Give it a shot. Greg

Old 05-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check those trip pressures for the two sensors (Chevy, Bomb), make sure they're equal...

Old 05-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is that critical to have an exact trip pressure? I thought those were just idiot lights and there to alert that there was basically "NO OIL PRESSURE" and that it didn't really matter if it is set at 5 or 7 lbs but what do I know.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You may be right, I don't know either, and since I don't it makes it more important to find out. If you are correct on the pressures from the other thread, with the chevy being a higher setting than the Bomb, then that's all the better, 'cause it will trip sooner than the Bomb switch, giving even earlier notice. If the Chevy switch trips at a lower pressure, then that may not be so good.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm pretty sure that the info on the bomb is in the factory repair manual of which I no longer have but i need to get one and i imagine there are many of you that have it But I think that is where I got the info before. But if that trip point is critical (of which now that I am thinking about it I can't think of why it would be a critical thing) but if it is just get the bomb unit it's only like 10 bucks. Greg

Old 05-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Okay, I just looked in the book and couldn't find any specs on the switch, but it does say that the minimum pressure at idle is 7psi, and 44psi at 6000 rpm.
So, obviously the trip pressure of the switch has to be below 7psi. My only concern with too low of a trip pressure is that this motor has an adjustable oil pressure regulator, that is subject to malfunction, and it is possible for the regulator to allow for insufficient pressure, even though some pressure is present.
For example : if the stock sensor trips at 4 psi to indicate low pressure, the same problem causing this low pressure at idle will cause low pressure at 6000 rpm too, where it is needed most, and instead of having 44psi you may have only 25 or 30psi. Therefore, when the light comes on, you shut down and toe it in.
But, if the sensor trips too low, like 2psi(hypothetically), and a problem occurs with the oil pressure regulator that progressively gets worse over the course of a ride, then the time it takes for the problem to show up on the red light is lengthened, and the motor ran a longer period of time with insufficient lubrication at high rpm's.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

The oil pressure in the DS is pretty high, at idle with a cold motor it is approx 75 psi if you give it a good rev when the engine is cold the oil pressure can exceed 100psi. I also have had to replace the oil pressure switch twice so i opted for a oil pressure gauge the second time

Peter

Old 05-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Peter, do you find it odd that the shop manual states oil pressures way different from what you are saying?
The book says 7psi at idle, 44psi at 6000rpm, and a max of 87psi at full rpm. Are you sure nothing is wrong with your oil pressure regulator? Perhaps this extremely high pressure you are indicating is what is killing the switch??? I'd check into it...