CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Air Box Lid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I knwo lot's of you guys have removed your airbox lids and i was wondering if you altered your jetting at all and if so the changes you made. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2002, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

if you pull the lid you have to jet up more air in more fuel needed

Old 05-26-2002, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The lid removal drastically increases air flow - so much that after jetting correctly, if you put the lid back on, the bike will run like crap when given gas under load from richness, no kidding!

Removing lid will require the needle to raise one notch, and the main jet will go up at least one size, maybe more depending on pipe. Basically, follow stage 3 instructions of Dynojet kit.

Old 05-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks alot Hightower.

Old 05-26-2002, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is contraversy on the forum of what needle is best - stock or Dynojet - but my 2 cents says the dynojet gives much better throttle response, clip in third notch from top with no lid, 2nd groove with lid.

If you remove your lid, and decide to leave it off for good, you can remove the snorkels for a cleaner look, and plug their holes with 1-1/4" pipe caps (1-5/8" outside dia.) to keep splashes from entering the airbox. Believe it or not, my filter stays cleaner with no lid, 'cause the snorkels suck in all the roost in front of me. Creeks never splash into it, the seat wraps really well to keep it out, but just in case, remove the drain cap in the bottom so any water will run right out. I am amazed at how clean and dry it stays inside the open airbox, and the power gain is noticable.

Do this pipe and air box stuff first, before putting on the CDI you're after, so you can see the individual power gains one at a time, or do it all at once and be amazed at a big boost all at once! That CDI is an amazing addition - every bit as much gain as a pipe gives, you won't be sorry you dropped the $300!

Old 05-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks a ton Hightower, you're definitely helping me along here. This forum has definitely helped me a ton, because of helpful people like you. I'm only 14, so when I go up to someone and ask them something they shrug me off as if to say, I bet you dont even knwo how to change your own oil. As a matter of fact, I rebuild my own motors and do all my maitnence myself. I do not depned on shops to do the dirty stuff for me and everything I put on my bike, comes from hard work and sweat by me. Not, Daddy can i get a new pipe please? It really bothers me how some people don't even give you a chance, they just look at you and say your spoiled and clueless. Sorry this is way off path, but I felt it needed to be said.

Old 05-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, Hightower, I would appreciate it if you could check out my other topic, Can it Work, and give me any insight possible. Thanks

Old 05-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This forum is loaded with people that have lots of knowledge to give. The Bomb forum is perhaps the kindest of all, they like to listen and help.
Nobody here will dock you for being 14, but rather commend you for doing your own maintenance.

Check the site of Buttfungus for useful info, and look at the chart of all us riders with our mod info...it can be of help too.

Old 05-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I have referred to his once before and soon as I'm done with my setup, I will post my information on it.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

<< The lid removal drastically increases air flow - so much that after jetting correctly, if you put the lid back on, the bike will run like crap when given gas under load from richness, no kidding!

Removing lid will require the needle to raise one notch, and the main jet will go up at least one size, maybe more depending on pipe. Basically, follow stage 3 instructions of Dynojet kit.
>>

I thought raising the needle clip one notch leaned out the carb?

Ron