CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Too much paddle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have a chance to get a pair of 22" 10-paddle Haulers for a good price. Would those be too much for my machine to handle. They are more than I had planned on; but if the price is right, I don't want to pass up a bargain.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

They are great paddle,hooks up real well.A bit tippy in corners and watch the heel guards(they will catch them)but you can trim & bend them a little(to keep them clear)
To get the best out of them you will have to re-gear 15/42 or lower

Jeff

Old 06-04-2002, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

...Hi,21-12,8 .......by 8 paddles are one of the best to have...I think there are some on ebay right now in fact..

Old 06-05-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

no 8" diameter wheels for the DS claas900

Old 06-05-2002, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

..Hi,O I'm sorry I didnt know there was no 8"wheel for the DS.I know a lot of guys the dray race a lot,most are 400ex's tho.But even on the Ds,Raptor's,they find that anything more then 8 paddles it to many,it sucks to much HP, might take off the line good but thats it,the faster mph you go,the more HP it takes.A lot of them are going to a 7 paddle in fact,off the line is a bit slower,but not much,it MORE then makes up for the loss up ths hill,or drag strip.They all run Haulers,and say there good for raceing the dunes also,good all around tire to have in the dunes.They try to run a narrow rim and a kinda of flat tire,the flat tire good off line,narrow rim makes the tire bollown up as mph increse,takeing less HP at high speeds...Sorry for the long reply...Hope it helps

P.S run around 1.5 to 2.0 psi

Old 06-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

You guys know I'm not a DS owner but here's my opinion anyway...

I think that a 22" tire really is the best way to go even though you may have to gear down a notch. This keeps you from digging in so easily mainly.

8 Paddles are probably the best choice. 10 Paddles really do rob a LOT more HP and decrease your top end quite a bit. Also, going from 8 to 10 paddles will require another drop in gearing to compensate. Trust me, I just went throught this excercise on my Banshee with 20" 10 paddles and 22" 8 paddle tires and I am MUCH happier with the 22" 8 paddle tires.

Unless you ride in flat dunes like Little Sahara, OK or Silver Lake, MI then V paddles aren't a very good choice. If you want to shoot some steep hills or drag then straight paddles are far superior. If you need more turning power then put on a set of ribbed front sand tires, they make a very big difference vs knobbies in the sand.

Haulers are the standard for straight paddles but I recently put on some Cheng Shin 22" Dunehoppers and I am very happy with their hookup and profile.

Whatever paddle you get you want a round profile, not flat. Flat doesn't hook well, period.

I personally run about 5 or 6 PSI in my paddles and find that it offers good hook. Too little pressure and you effectively flatten the profile and aren't able to keep the blades stiff; I hope that makes sense. If not, air down your paddles and see how flat they sit on the ground and see how easy it is to flex your paddles... More air = better hook-up.

A narrower tire will help with top-end speed due to less drag.

That's my $.02 for what it's worth.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. My 140lbs may help out some, but I too figured that 10-paddles would pull on the engine. I had planned on eventually getting the 22" 8-paddle, but I saw these and thought they may be okay if the price was right. I'll just watch the $$ and see if it remains a good enough deal for me to get. 80% of the auctions I go to, end up going for just as much as you can buy stuff new. People get crazy with those things!

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

If we collected all of the $.02 we could buy Glamis (lol).

I've had the Sand Sharkd 20", Sand Devils 20" 9 paddle and now the 22-11-10 10 paddle extreems. I think that the 22-11-10 10 paddle extreems are the best so far. Sandsurfer and I have been neck and neck with almost identical DS's. The biggest gain I have had against him so far are the Extreems.

Sandsurfer and I may hit Glamis this weekend. He just put on a RWR pipe so our DS's are identical except I have the RWR Supertrap and Extreem 22's, he has the open end cap and 20-10-10 10 paddle non extreem's. We may play with the sprockets and see what happens.

I think that the 22-11-10 10 paddle extreems would work on any stage of DS. If your DS is stock it will help, you'll just be in a lower gear. But once you start to mod your quad you will already have an excelent tire.

That's my $.02 donation, now I'm broke.