CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sand tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002 | 01:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

Just got my sand tires and want to know which way the front tires go? They have one rib in the center of the tire and there is a smooth side of the rib and a cupped side of the rib. Which goes to the outside of the tire, cupped or smooth?

Old 06-14-2002 | 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, sounds like the dilemma I just had. The way I figured it was that the straight part of the rib should go to the OUTSIDE and the cupped/curved side of the rib should go towards the inside. My reasoning was that the straight side will provide bite for the turning tire that is on the outside of the turn while preventing sand from being channeled onto the rider from the tire on the inside of the turn.

It's hard to explain but basically you want the bite from the straight side of the rib and the cupped/curved side of the rib to function so as to not throw sand on you. They hooked great this way and I almost high-sided it on occasion until I got used to the extra grip. You'll see what I mean when you hit the dunes. BTW, I got the GBC dunetrackers.

Old 06-14-2002 | 02:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have been looking in magazines and I have seen both ways. I thought the cup would go to the outside so as it would cup into the sand for traction. But your explanation sounds good as well. Lets see what others have to say.
Thanks.

Old 06-14-2002 | 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have the ones on the raptor with the cup facing out.

I guess either way will work. I dont know which is right, but wyo's explanation sounds good too.

I dont know.

Bat

Old 06-14-2002 | 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, now you got me thinking about this. Maybe I put them on backwards after all???

If I did put them wrong, it just goes to show how an incredibly long and baffling post can confuse and bewilder almost anybody into thinking that I actually have a clue as to what I'm talking about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (see...)

Old 06-14-2002 | 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have tried them both ways,I like them with molded edge out...
With the molded edge in they seemed to grab the sand to much and almost pull the bars out of your hands when braking on a down hill.I have almost went over the bars a couple of time because of the outside tire (on a turn)just digging in to well.Now the out side tire will push instead of putting me over the bars.
I guess I just end up hitting the brakes to hard on down hill turns
Just my thoughts
Jeff

Wyo,
I think you have them on right(straight edge out)STU recommended way
I just thought they grabbed too good for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2002 | 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Mine are mounted the way the STU recommends but I agree with Jeff. They are very quick to steer and I have been thrown from the quad once because of it. Actually seeing a Chiropractor now from that day because I landed on my shoulder and my head, kinking my kneck, yes I had a helmet on. One of these days when I get to it I am going to switch mine to the other way.

Old 06-14-2002 | 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It is really common since, The straight edge goes out. If you think about it , when you turn, your wieght AND mommentum is on the outside tire,Therefore you want the straight edge to grab the sand and throw it AWAY from you. If the Straight edge's are Faceing IN I would think your turning would be feel VERY mushy, Not to mention the tire's are throw sand all over you and your quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] GOOD LUCK!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 06-14-2002 | 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Demon and Jeff, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks they have TOO MUCH bite when mounted the proper way. I came close on a few occasions to wiping out because of the bite; mainly when powersliding or turning hard it would bite hard and whip the back around. When the back catches it nearly threw me off.

I'm riding tomorrow and will probably flip them around for less bite.

One question though, do they throw much sand on you when flipped around??? (Yep, I'm a sissy about sand on me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Old 06-14-2002 | 08:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

Called alba action and they told me that the straight edge goes out and the cupped edge goes in.

Quick Reply: Sand tire question?