CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Thinking about trading my z400 for a ds 650 baja

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my axle already bent and my dealer not wanting to help in any way I am thinking about trading for a baja. Everybody says they are too big, but then they buy wheel spacers and wider axles for their honda's, yamaha's and such. Is their any owners out their with some advice on this machine?

Old 07-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

It was the best purchase I have made. The baja is a do everything machine. I agree, everyone goes around saying it is too wide and then goes and widens their raptor or 400 or whatever.

The only bad thing about the ds is the weight. It is heavy. But the only time I notice that is pulling it out of a hole I got it into.

I dont know a lot about the z400, but it sounds like a nice machine. But if you are leaning towards the baja you will not be dissapointed. I dont ride a lot of wooded trails, but the few I have been on have not posed a problem.

I would however plan on changing the cdi box (the rev limiter is too low) and probably plan on piping and jetting. Not that they need it, it is a pretty fast machine out of the box.

If you have any other questions post them and I am sure you will get an answer.

Bat

Old 07-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Ya I would go for the switch. I mostly trail ride and the ds is not that bad after you get to know how it reacts to certain things, the power that it has combined with the suspention you can hit the biggest bumps and not notice. And the weight? I am 16, 180 pounds and I can control it with easily on the ground and in the air.

Old 07-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm with Bat.
As for woods - I'm in them all the time, love it.

Old 07-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I trade bikes all the time at the dunes to get a feel for other bikes, I can't think of a quad I haven't ridden. Two weeks ago I rode the new Suzuki 400 and I couldn't wait to get back on my DS. If it were me, I'd trade and never look back.
I have no intention of bashing and I'm not brand loyal at all. The Ds just fits me and comes as close as I can get to what I want in a quad right now. Honda, kawasaki, anyone make a quad the size and power of the Ds and lose the weight with the same reliability and I'll be there.

Old 07-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

You wont be disappointed if you trade. I have had guys that ride other bikes ride mine. They cant beleive how it gets up and goes as heavy as it is and how plush the suspension feels compared to their quads. Just trade, best thing you'll ever do!

Old 07-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, whatsup with the Z400's axle? The one I rode had a bent axle, too. Not a very good first impression from suzuki. When I rode the Z400, it wasn't too bad, but if anyone knows mw, they know why. But I like my DS way better. The Z is even smaller than a raptor, but I kinda like the raptor feel. The Z feels cramped. No offense to Z riders, they are still a way cool machine, but if I had a Z, first since you fit well on a Z, I would consider moving up to a Raptor. you can't be too big, if you ride that Z, so try out a raptor, I love my Baja, but a Rap might just fit you better.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I'll trade you! I've got 3TV's Baja and my modded DS. At this point I am embarking on an adventure which means I need to get rid of the Bombers. I can see that these Z400's need a Durablue axle, A-arms and front shocks like the Raptors. You'll probably like the Z if you go this route.
... My modded DS is a good as the Baja, without the extras. I must say that the Baja suspension is as good as the TimmyBoy uppers/Works set up. The rev limiter is not as good as the aftermarket Pami unit, but an improvement over stock.
.....Here's an interesting side note. I wanted to use my 23" and 22" XCT's when riding the Paiute trail with 3TV. SO we switched tires and wheels with the Baja and DS. Remember when Bombardier was saying that they hadn't changed geometry, just wheel offset? What a load of crap!
The Baja, with stock DS wheels and XCT's feels just like the DS with TimmyBoys and Works shocks. Those Baja A-arms definetly have more caster.
.....You are in Missouri and I am in New Mexico, so this ain't gonna happen. But if we were closer, I'd swap you! 3TV and I are both heavy impulse buyers. He was headed to the dealer to trade in his Baja, so I bought it! I don't regret it, it's a very nice quad and he made me a good deal. BUT, I will be riding Predators and Z400's for a while....

Old 07-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< With my axle already bent and my dealer not wanting to help in any way I am thinking about trading for a baja. Everybody says they are too big, but then they buy wheel spacers and wider axles for their honda's, yamaha's and such. Is their any owners out their with some advice on this machine? >>

What kind of riding do you do? If you ride tight trails, then DS's aren't the hot setup (but it still can be done). Open trails, dunes, etc.... the baja is awesome.

DS=Dune Sport

BTW, hoping the new bombardier quad will be a TS (=trail sport)

Old 07-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyone's replies. This forum is very informing and unbiased. Seem's like you guys are more my age. Most of my riding is pasture into creek,woods, riverbottoms, row crop fields, or home made tracks. I'm having trouble finding a new baja right now. Two months ago most dealers had one. I like the Z pretty good, but it will beat you up on any rough stuff. I have never rode a baja but love the way they sit. I like to pull the front wheels at any time especially on some ruts or small drop offs so the z works really good for that even in 4th. How does the ds pull the fronts? Thanks again

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading my z400 for a ds 650 baja