CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

methanol ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to take the plunge, then i was told that with methanol you will use 70% more fuel. so, 1 to 2 hour rides, even with a IMS tank are not going to happen. correct me if i was mis-informed. i would love a drunk ds.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

when alcohol is right you will use 110% larger main jets. so at WOT you will not get alot of riding time. its doesn't use as much just riding. depends on what style of riding you do.

i wouldn't recomend anyone useing alcohol that isn't a drag racer. alot of other things are to be done besides just put it in the tank and go.

Old 09-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

OH no glamis you can talk to any one from the sand mt trip my bike dunes as good as the rest we went out for two to three hrs and i had no problem keeping up and running with the big dogs,demon,jeff,jetsnow,duneme[formerly known as fasterthebetter]and the rest and as for consumption with my ims tank i use a quarter of a tank per dune ride!!! and actualy my bike runs 20 deg cooler on nitromethanol.good luck!!!!

Old 09-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

azsand, you only use 1/4 of your tank every 3 hours? if so that better than gas.

you also dune with nitro? what precent? nitro builds alot of heat.

Old 09-27-2002, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

azsand, that is exactly what i wanted to hear. although custum is the one who said not to do it if i planned on regular duning as well as hill shooting.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey glamis gary at coustom is very reserved.and most people don't belive you can dune thats what we have been told so thats what we think.but no one told me that so i have been dunning mine and it dose work.and mike as i said in one thread on metanol i took 20 gallons of metanol to sand mt and brought home like 12 gallons and thats 1 1/2 days of riding on two bikes. and i was running about 9% when we headed to the dunes to ride.and no mike that is not as good as my bike did on gas i have a 5.5 gallon ims desert tank so i can see my fuel real good and on gas i used less fuel.maybe i can jet even bigger ??????for more power???

Old 09-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

AZ you can probably go bigger. i used about 2-3 gallons at atoka last month. i ran about 15-20 300' passes. i was alot richer there than i normally run. alittler to rich. i thought you was useing a stock tank to. i wouldn't use nitro in the dunes.that stuff can get ugle. we dune our bike on alcohol to. be its just top go see what other people are doing. not much on dune rideing. to me the gain isn't worht the trouble to to dune with it.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I AGREE WITH YOU UNLESS YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT DRAGGING OR HILL SHOOTING THEN ALCAHOL IS A LITTLE TOO MUCH.AND AS FOR DUNING I WENT CRAZEY AND CONVERTD THE WHOLE FLEET TO ALCAHOL SO I HAVE NO CHIOCE BUT TO DUNE ON ALCAHOL!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Methanol sould be used in a serious race motor only. We ran it in our kart motors for years but we had such high compression we used girdels to hold the heads on. It is also very dangerous fule, we had an accedent that almost cost my dad his life. In 1978 he was burnt 3rd deg on 85% of his body in a methanol explosion and we took a lot of precautions. The fumes are much more volital than gas the evaporation happens at lower temps so if you use it be very carfule keep it very well sealed and in a well ventolated area. Also it will tend to deteriate bunal ruber so make sure all of your fule lines are compatible.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Amen on the buenol rubber and the flamabilty

Quick Reply: methanol ?