CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Bombardier Sport Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bombardier Sport Quad?

How meny pounds do you think an alum. frame and swing arm\ a arms will shed?

Old 10-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In my opinion, it would be very difficult and extremely expensive to make an aluminum frame of this size durable enough to handle what the DS currently is capable of, but if it was done the weight difference would surely be significant.
Aftermarket swingarms currently made of steel are an average 12 pounds lighter than stock, and aluminum could take a few more pounds off on top of that. It would be hard to get that much weight removed from the front as well though, so the weight bias would end up suffering worse than it already does. Moving the oil tank to the rear of the bike could help offset this, but other issues associated with that have been encountered when it was attempted by others conscerning oil pump performance.

All in all, if it was done and done right, I think 30 to 40 pounds could be dropped with an all aluminum frame construction, but to me the sacrifice in durability would not be worth the cost. Affordable aluminum is just not as strong as the steel used in frames, which is why Lone Star, Roll Design, and all the other serious MX aftermarket frame companies are still using old faithful. C-dale took a very impressive step into the aluminum frame, and their design is quite awesome I must say - especially with the frame acting as the oil reservoir, but if the DS frame were to be made lilke this then I would think it'd cost quite a bundle more.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

if we start putting lots of aluminum parts on are ds's then it would get YCS (Yamaha Craptor Syndrom[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) , n nobody wants that

Old 10-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
Affordable aluminum is just not as strong as the steel used in frames, which is why Lone Star, Roll Design, and all the other serious MX aftermarket frame companies are still using old faithful.

actually roll design just came out with an aluminum frame.
and lonestar came out with a titanium one (but i don't like that)

Old 10-20-2002, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Think two cylinder direct injection twostroke.

Old 10-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

mmmmmm 2 cylinder 2-stroke engine *drools like Homer Simpson*

Old 10-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Juggalo - if I'm not mistaken those frames are advertised as TT frames, not MX like I mentioned.
I also said "affordable". Those frames are like $10,000 - the price of a complete rolling chassis made of chromoloy.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

the rumor is there for severals years now that bomb will come with a twin 380 cc 2 stroke engine quad,bomb is putting semi-fuel injection engines this year in the snowmobiles world so i let you known what can be made then...

Old 10-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

well hightower if you want to consider a 12000 dollar chromoly steel roll design lobo chasis affordable then you must have a ton of cash. the only frame i can think of that is truly affordable right now is the LRD attitude frame for 2800! great price and the frame is made out of aluminum too.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey SamSon,
As you know, you dont have to drool, the Banshee is a 2 cylinder 2 stroke! Stop droolin and start buyin!

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: New Bombardier Sport Quad?