CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Thunder Products...dial-a-jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Products...dial-a-jet

I installed one of them fancy yet simple dial-a-jet do-hickies...I'll need more time with it to decide if it was worth the money...I liked the idea of being able to make quick adjustments for the difference in daytime temps (65-70 deg)in to night's mid-low 30s...initially I am not impressed but didn't get a lot of time to mess with it. I did notice that I'm getting significant fuel backflow (towards the filter) and its wiping out the K&N oil on the lower half of the filter--I definately don't think thats good! I talked to Lonn about that and he asked if i was lidless and suggested i purchase another item from Thunder Products that allows you to control the airflow and also filters the air coming into the box. He also said I was probably still rich and should consider going back to stock jetting...hmmm. I'm thinking air turbulance problem or too many wheelies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]. Anyone else get caught up in the hoopla and buy one? Just wondering...

Old 12-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

yeh i bought the kit waiting for motor to show up. did you go down 2-3 main jet sizes to begin with? they say to go down 3 sizes then turn adjuster all the way rich and work you'r way back down one click at a time till runs clean (plug check) should end up at middle postion if have to go leaner than center postion than need to drop main jet one more size ect. sounds like some extra tuning but sould pay off in the end!!

Old 12-06-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

You really need to create a lean condition for the Dial-a-jets to work, you can't add fuel to a rich mixture and gain horse power.

If you are already jetted correctly you won't gain anything, unless you use them like we do. we use them to inject Nitro (made by klotz) and gas into the top of our carbs. We do this by using a seperate fuel blatter for the mixture. When you want a extra kick, you turn on the extra fuel blatter and the put the extra mixture in. The Nitro, adds oxygen, just like the name suggests and is mixed with gas and delivered through the Dial-a-jets. They are using these systems on high performace snowmobiles to gain an edge.

Be careful if you use Nitro, they don't recommend leaving it in the carbs over night, thats one reason we don't just mix it in the tank.

Good luck, That Pami with Dial-a-jets should kick @$$!!

Old 12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I was running the dj 195 main and dropped to a 180...I'm pretty sure I was still a little rich. TP,Inc didn't include instructions on how to interface their kit with the stock BSR42mm--since there is no float bowl nut on the bottom of the carb i removed my bowl drain tube from its nipple and ground down the bowl drain screw so now the nipple orifice flows fuel into the feeder tube on the dial a jet.

Jeffroe...you still waiting on your motor? I'm guessin you bought two of the kits, right? One for each carb? Or something else in the works?

I like the idea of using it to inject nitro for that extra kick during my occasional drags...I saw the Klotz nitro you mentioned...about 10 bucks for 20oz. This bladder could be any type of container so long as it vented and has a petcock, . A nice pint sized stainless flask filled to the brim with nitro would be cool!!! especially if it gave a noticeable boost [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

if you use it like shutgun says, what controls the flow of the nitro, or would it feed the bike nitro all the time, or does the d-a-j start to suck it in with higher rpms

Old 12-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

The dial-a-jet apparently only provides the emulsified fuel charge at the upper range of the fuel circuitry and under load...this is why you only have to change your main jet (lean it out 3/4 to full throttle) after installation...and also why when your look at the fuel level in the clear supply line you'll see the level of fuel is equal to the level in your float bowl even while the bike is running. I thought it was curious that when I reved my engine the fuel did not feed up into the dial a jet...hence, Lonn's explanation that it will only provide the fuel when "under a load", ie--drag racing...he said, and I quote, "you could rev it to 20 grand ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]) and still the fuel will not feed when not under load...

Before I decided to buy the dial a jet i did a brief search and found some pretty good testimonials...and was convinced that I would benefit from one.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong, its not like hitting the button and giving it a 30 shot of nitrous. The nitro, made by klotz is a oxygen additive (similair to what nitrous does, but no wheres near the effect), it needs to be mixed with gas, so now you have more oxygen and more gas, like having bigger carbs, 44's instead of 42's or what ever Ds's have. To get any bennifit I believe you would need mixed fuel in your extra blatter, I'm not sure what pure nitro would do, I think it would make it way to lean and could ruin your motor, be careful!

Also if you were racing in the whoops, sloshing might be a problem, most of the high performance snowmobiles have an extra carb bowl. The extra tank is hooked to the extra carb bowl and the dial a jets are hook to that carb bowl. This elimates sloshing and insures that you have a constain fuel supply. We use an old carb bowl off a lawn mower, anything with a float. I believe Thunder Produces sells these to.

Klotz claims a 5% increase in power using the nitro and I beleive by using it the way I descrided you'll gain 3 to 5% more. Just my opinion! That's more than you'll get with a tuned exchaust system for a third of the cost.

I would suggest buying a can of nitro and putting some in you gas tank first, (4 oz. per gal), as a test to see how you bike reacts to it before spending any money! Make sure to drain you tank after or fill it back up so as to delute the mixture.

Please don't spend any money because of anything I say, these are only my opinions! Do a search as jiminok suggested, there are lots of testimonials out there and call Lonn, at Thunder Products, he knows and sells these systems, before doing anything.

Have fun Guys!

Ps excuse the spelling, we need a spell checker on here! dbeck!

Old 12-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Spell checker is already on here. Click the abc icon on the top left.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, but I don't see it on my screen.

Probably like the old frig. thing, I look for something and my wife walks over and pull it out.

Is it in the Message Text screen?

All I have is Bold, italic, underline and links, then hr, highlight, Li, quote, ordered list , unordered list and emotions.

Please Help!

Old 12-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Go to your "customize" button and check yes for using the WYSIWYG editor. I think that will fix it.... maybe.

Quick Reply: Thunder Products...dial-a-jet